The Student Room Group

What should I do about my period cramps in my gcses?

I've had really bad cramps for years and tried paracetamol and ibuprofen (they don't really help). Gcses are in about 5 weeks and I'm not sure what to do if I'm in an exam hunched over crying due to pain or even vomiting. I went hospital last year they said I have Menorrhagia and dysmenorrhoea which is just heavy and painful period. They provided no solution he vaguely talked about birth control but assumed my mum would say no!? He was an African man and my mums african too, I disliked how he was bringing his own personal views into this rather than convincing my mum introduced it as this terrible thing. I'm getting distracted. I'm now 16 which means I can make my own appointment so should I attampt to get birth control for myself? Are there any other solutions and what is the process to the prescription? Are the side effects not worth it? Thanks
Make an appointment with a different doctor. You're allowed to request a female doctor when you're making an appointment, which may make you more comfortable.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Krunchykarrots2
I've had really bad cramps for years and tried paracetamol and ibuprofen (they don't really help). Gcses are in about 5 weeks and I'm not sure what to do if I'm in an exam hunched over crying due to pain or even vomiting. I went hospital last year they said I have Menorrhagia and dysmenorrhoea which is just heavy and painful period. They provided no solution he vaguely talked about birth control but assumed my mum would say no!? He was an African man and my mums african too, I disliked how he was bringing his own personal views into this rather than convincing my mum introduced it as this terrible thing. I'm getting distracted. I'm now 16 which means I can make my own appointment so should I attampt to get birth control for myself? Are there any other solutions and what is the process to the prescription? Are the side effects not worth it? Thanks

yes go back to a different doctor and ask for it! it’s very easy to get birth control from a good GP, they will just have to do a blood pressure test and get your medical history to work out the best options for you. it’s also worth saying your period should not be that bad, it might also be worth seeing if the doctor can investigate that properly and see if there’s anything wrong that might be causing it (like endometriosis).
i would suggest making an appointment to ask about birth control soon because there can be initial side effects to birth control, like nausea or irregular period-like bleeding - they are usually mild and clear up after a few weeks if you do get them, but you probably want to get that out the way before your GCSEs. When you ask for it make sure you make it clear you want to use it to stop your period so if it’s the pill you’re after you can check it’s ok to take it continuously (it should be, it’s perfectly safe, but best to get medical advice before you take any medication in a way that is different to how it’s prescribed!)

If you’re worried/uncomfortable about birth control - first of all its medical use to treat painful periods is just as valid as its use to prevent pregnancy, that doctor should not have framed it the way he did when discussing it with you and your mum. there are some other options but they’re not as effective - there’s tranexemic acid which can make your period lighter (but might not help with other symptoms) and there’s also a drug they might prescribe that can delay your period, but they might not prescribe it and it’s a temporary fix - i don’t know if it would last for all of your GCSEs. you could also ask if the doctor can recommend any alternative painkillers you could try.

i should probably say i’m not a doctor so please ask your doctor about all this for the most accurate information and have a discussion about what’s right for you! this is just some stuff i’ve come across when seeing doctors for the same issue.
Original post by Anonymous
yes go back to a different doctor and ask for it! it’s very easy to get birth control from a good GP, they will just have to do a blood pressure test and get your medical history to work out the best options for you. it’s also worth saying your period should not be that bad, it might also be worth seeing if the doctor can investigate that properly and see if there’s anything wrong that might be causing it (like endometriosis).
i would suggest making an appointment to ask about birth control soon because there can be initial side effects to birth control, like nausea or irregular period-like bleeding - they are usually mild and clear up after a few weeks if you do get them, but you probably want to get that out the way before your GCSEs. When you ask for it make sure you make it clear you want to use it to stop your period so if it’s the pill you’re after you can check it’s ok to take it continuously (it should be, it’s perfectly safe, but best to get medical advice before you take any medication in a way that is different to how it’s prescribed!)

If you’re worried/uncomfortable about birth control - first of all its medical use to treat painful periods is just as valid as its use to prevent pregnancy, that doctor should not have framed it the way he did when discussing it with you and your mum. there are some other options but they’re not as effective - there’s tranexemic acid which can make your period lighter (but might not help with other symptoms) and there’s also a drug they might prescribe that can delay your period, but they might not prescribe it and it’s a temporary fix - i don’t know if it would last for all of your GCSEs. you could also ask if the doctor can recommend any alternative painkillers you could try.

i should probably say i’m not a doctor so please ask your doctor about all this for the most accurate information and have a discussion about what’s right for you! this is just some stuff i’ve come across when seeing doctors for the same issue.

Thanks I really appreciate it and that doctor really did annoy me. Thanks again
Original post by 1582
Make an appointment with a different doctor. You're allowed to request a female doctor when you're making an appointment, which may make you more comfortable.

I think it would thanks. Really weird coincidence when I have appointments to do with my period I always get a male doctor.

Quick Reply

Latest