The Student Room Group

Should I take a language GCSE in my first year of sixth form?

I have got 10 GCSES, with six 9’s and one 6 in Spanish as my lowest. I am studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Further Maths with high predicted grades and I am aiming for the top unis like Oxbridge to probably study Engineering.

I have always spoken Persian from birth as both my parents spoke it so I would say I can speak conversational Persian quite well. I also normally visit Iran every year to meet my family. However, I struggle with formal Persian and reading/writing, and I’m debating whether I should take the Persian GCSE this year. I have already told my teacher no, but now I am debating again over whether I made a mistake.

I did a past paper (November 2021) without the speaking, and got around a grade 8. Will it be worth the extra stress? Will it be useful for my application into the top uni’s?
(edited 1 year ago)
No university requires a language. Dont waste your time.
An absolute waste of time and energy.
Reply 3
I agree with the other replies. Put all that energy into making great A Level results.

Also, Oxbridge is not looking for applicants who are passionate about Oxbridge. I've said this a lot. Oxbridge is looking for applicants who are passionate about their chosen course. Don't confuse the two. If you have extra time apart from your leisure time, spend that time learning about Engineering so you can show that you're serious about studying it. Forget what the other applicants may have. Focus on your course.
Reply 4
Ah yes. I have a couple of RC plane projects I’m making, I play this game called KSP where u make rockets and planes etc, I am trying to learn CAD and I am doing 3 days of engineering work experience starting from tomorrow. Am I doing the right thing for wanting to get into engineering?
Original post by maybemiro
I have got 10 GCSES, with six 9’s and one 6 in Spanish as my lowest. I am studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Further Maths with high predicted grades and I am aiming for the top unis like Oxbridge to probably study Engineering.

I have always spoken Persian from birth as both my parents spoke it so I would say I can speak conversational Persian quite well. I also normally visit Iran every year to meet my family. However, I struggle with formal Persian and reading/writing, and I’m debating whether I should take the Persian GCSE this year. I have already told my teacher no, but now I am debating again over whether I made a mistake.

I did a past paper (November 2021) without the speaking, and got around a grade 8. Will it be worth the extra stress? Will it be useful for my application into the top uni’s?

@maybemiro

Just being able to speak conversational Farsi will look good on your personal statement.

I agree with the others: you should focus on getting top grades for your subjects.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending