The Student Room Group

Help choosing a degree

I’m in year 12 and I don’t know what I want to study at university. I thought about doing a dual degree, English literature and something else but then I always hear people talk about how an English literature degree won’t get you far. I don’t have anyone I can rely on so I ideally need a job where I will be earning a decent salary straight after university. I thought I’d do a law degree but thinking about it I don’t know if I’m really passionate about it. I also don’t want to do an English literature degree and then end up becoming a teacher or earning a low salary. I was also thinking about studying marketing but I’m not sure whether it’s easy or hard to get a job. I’m finding it so hard to choose because I feel like with many jobs the salaries are too low and because I don’t have anyone to depend on I’m worried that I might really struggle after finishing university. Any advice?
I can't really say what would be perfect for you, not knowing what you enjoy and such.

I have a lot of friends doing English next year as a degree and some doing other english-based subjects like journalism etc

I think you should think about what you're good at and what you enjoy, if you like law and you're good at some of the skills required there's no problem applying but if you prefer english, i say go for english.

There's a lot of english-adjacent subjects like journalism that might have a broader career pool after your degree but I'm not too sure. Check a lot of university websites and see what options you have for degrees and where you could go because a lot do joint english degrees anyways and they differ everywhere.

I think your concern about career paths is valid but the thing about english degrees is a lot of people do them, I'm doing pharmacy next year and I've met one other girl doing it compared to the 20 or so I know applying for english subjects. There are jobs but also a lot more people applying for them. If english is a passion of yours, look through sandwich degrees where you can maybe do a year abroad or a year working with a company, that way you'd have more experience and stand out from other students when applying for jobs.

If you're interested in marketing I think maybe apprenticeships might be better? Again, not too sure, but there are a good few of them around and it usually guarantees.

I know what you mean stressing about what to do afterwards but at the end of the day, a degree is a degree and you'll be advantaged anywhere you go as long as you're willing to work hard. You don't just have to pick from teaching. I think it's also important to remember that chances are, your salary tends to be low when you first start. It's important to remember a degree is an investment in your life and job prospects, even if you don't have the most amazing job straight out and you don't get paid as much as you hope to, you will build your way up the chain and become more in demand the more experience you get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending