The Student Room Group

AQA A Level English Literature A Paper 1 (7712/1) - 24 May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ijernign
teacher told us to revise cassio as he is the only one not to have come up yet

This would actually be the biggest pistake
Reply 41
Hi all I was wondering if anyone has any key quotes for ohello and tess pls :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Fire dude
woo! do you have any predictions/ questions you'll hope come up for Wuthering Heights and poetry? I just did a practice essay on violence which would be a gift but I doubt it'll come up sadly

I honestly have no clue at this point! I would love a question on like forbidden love/barriers to love or like role of women and societal convention/expectations!
Original post by KathleenKerry
My dream question for WH and the poetry would be unrequited love, but maybe it could be like obsessive love, destructive love or jealousy? For Othello, they haven't used the extract with Emilia and Desdemona yet but I've noticed for the Othello exam question it's typical a given view which is negative so I don't really know what they could say for that maybe women's loyalty to their husbands?

Hi, I don't know if you guys know last years question - but I sat the exam for it in 2022 and the question was on how desdemona is presented in the extract and play as a whole - can't remember the extract but the statement we got was ' Desdemona's naivety of men leads to her downfall'
Original post by Spectacularchief
I am trying to write a comparison essay between a prose and two poems but I don't know how to structure my essay.

My method is:

Intro
Para 1: Prose and Poem 1
Para 2: Poem 2 and Prose
Conclusion
I am trying to write a comparison essay between a prose and two poems but I don't know how to structure my essay.

Hi, I got a B in it last year and this is how I structured it
Paragraph 1: Prose/Poem 1
Paragraph 2: Prose/Poem 2
Paragraph 3: Prose/Poem 1
Conclusion
does anyone have a quotes bank or flashcards for Desdemona quotes??
is doing 2 body paragraphs enough for a gatsby and poem comparison essay?
Original post by sticklobster
does anyone have a quotes bank or flashcards for Desdemona quotes??

I used this, when I was doing mine. Hope it helps.
Original post by ilovepuppiez

honestly wondering the same thing… usually this is my structure (i got a B in my mocks)

Intro- include prose and 2 poems, main argument and some relevant context etc
para 1 - prose and poem 1
para 2 - poem 2 linked to both prose and poem 1
para 3 - (if i have time, I usually dont) prose and any of the poems you chose if you have more ideas
and then lastly a (short) conclusion

can sometime tell me if this structure is efficient? im never sure if i should do 2 or 3 body paragraphs because we have to worry about timing so much :frown: im so scared!
Reply 50
Hii, just curious to know if anyone has any idea what might come up on Wednesdays paper ? And does anyone know what the 2022 paper questions were on othello, unseen poetry and Gatsby?
Original post by slayingasavet
honestly wondering the same thing… usually this is my structure (i got a B in my mocks)

Intro- include prose and 2 poems, main argument and some relevant context etc
para 1 - prose and poem 1
para 2 - poem 2 linked to both prose and poem 1
para 3 - (if i have time, I usually dont) prose and any of the poems you chose if you have more ideas
and then lastly a (short) conclusion

can sometime tell me if this structure is efficient? im never sure if i should do 2 or 3 body paragraphs because we have to worry about timing so much :frown: im so scared!

This is easily the most diffiuclt question in the entire a level franchise so dont worry
With decent themes, ive been getting 20/25 by using the strucutre as follows,
- P1) - intro
- P2) - Prose point 1 = early points of the theme occuring in the novella
- P3) - Poem 1 = nice short and sharp paragraph. Start with point, quote or 2/3, analysis and technique or whatever. Structure and form + meter, then a little bit of context + Performance and Reception (contemporary and modern).
- P4) - Prose 2 = get a little bit about the theme in the ending of the book in there. I do the awakening so i have to do the ending as a must, its so easy to talk about.
- P5) - poem 2 = depending on time, keep it short and sweet using similar structure as P3.
- conclusion - This is only necessary if you have time, not needed to get all the marks if you are already doing enough in the other paragraphs. - if there is context you havent mentioned, whack it in the conclusion.
Hope this helps. - This takes about 1 hour 20 mins to do on a keyboard so lets see what happens on wednesday

Hi! Here is what I normally do:

Intro: Main argument in relation to question, what poems/texts I will refer to in the essay, context
Paragraph 1: Poem 1
Paragraph 2: Prose (two examples that compare/contrast poem 1)
Paragraph 3: Poem 2 (either supporting previous argument or suggesting a different interpretation)
Paragraph 4: Prose (two examples that compare/contrast poem 2)
Conclusion: Overview of argument, writers intentions, context
Original post by dogeinvestor
This is easily the most diffiuclt question in the entire a level franchise so dont worry
With decent themes, ive been getting 20/25 by using the strucutre as follows,
- P1) - intro
- P2) - Prose point 1 = early points of the theme occuring in the novella
- P3) - Poem 1 = nice short and sharp paragraph. Start with point, quote or 2/3, analysis and technique or whatever. Structure and form + meter, then a little bit of context + Performance and Reception (contemporary and modern).
- P4) - Prose 2 = get a little bit about the theme in the ending of the book in there. I do the awakening so i have to do the ending as a must, its so easy to talk about.
- P5) - poem 2 = depending on time, keep it short and sweet using similar structure as P3.
- conclusion - This is only necessary if you have time, not needed to get all the marks if you are already doing enough in the other paragraphs. - if there is context you havent mentioned, whack it in the conclusion.
Hope this helps. - This takes about 1 hour 20 mins to do on a keyboard so lets see what happens on wednesday

Hi! Thank you for your help! could you please explain the performance and reception part?? I’m in full on panic mode right now, I really need a B overall but unfortunately my NEA (course work) came back lower than expected
Reply 54
hope everyone's revision is going great! wondering what people are predicting for othello and wuthering heights qs? terrified of getting something like 'brabantio and roderigo' like they got a few years ago, thinking cassio might be on?
that terrifies me too but highly doubt that would come up again. Cassio / Bianca are the more likely minor characters we could get - Bianca did come up for AS (Cassio never has tho so again - I think its possible) a few years back so that is a possibility
Original post by slayquee
hope everyone's revision is going great! wondering what people are predicting for othello and wuthering heights qs? terrified of getting something like 'brabantio and roderigo' like they got a few years ago, thinking cassio might be on?
Reply 56
Original post by ilovepuppiez

Yess as long as all the objective are talked about somewhere in ur essay
Reply 57
Original post by xo.lizziee
that terrifies me too but highly doubt that would come up again. Cassio / Bianca are the more likely minor characters we could get - Bianca did come up for AS (Cassio never has tho so again - I think its possible) a few years back so that is a possibility

Do really think they'll ask something so niche considering out cohort of peers have never actually done exams before, like does anyone think it might be more general?
Reply 58
curious to know if anyone has any idea what might come up on Wednesdays paper for anyone who does othello and gatsby AQA exam board? And does anyone know what the 2022 paper questions were on othello, unseen poetry and Gatsby?
Reply 59
Hey guys do any of you have any key quotes for Cassio or revision materials for him pls

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending