The Student Room Group

AQA A Level English Literature A Paper 1 (7712/1) - 24 May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Im pretty sure the 2022 Othello question had the assertion "Desdemona naivety in men brings about her downfall'
Original post by Natania777
curious to know if anyone has any idea what might come up on Wednesdays paper for anyone who does othello and gatsby AQA exam board? And does anyone know what the 2022 paper questions were on othello, unseen poetry and Gatsby?
Reply 61
What would you suggest prioritising my revision on if I need a B? I do Othello, Tess of the d'Urbervilles and Death of a Salesman, I'm pretty faithful in both of my coursework essays getting A/A* but I know that's not a huge part of the final grade
curious to know if anyone has any idea what might come up on Wednesdays paper for anyone who does othello and gatsby AQA exam board? And does anyone know what the 2022 paper questions were on othello, unseen poetry and Gatsby?

Hi,

I sat it last year and unseen had a quote about marriage and then the actual question was how love is presented, gatsby I don't remember the questions but one of the options had a quote saying something like 'true love is rarely achieved and never lasts' sorry I couldn't be of more help :smile:
Hi guys,

I saw a a few of you were asking for resources on characters for Othello; I used some resources from getrevising and physics and maths tutor for Othello, cassio,desdemona and iago when i did it last year. I've attached the physics and maths tutor link here. Hope this helps :smile:

https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/english-revision/a-level-aqa/othello/
Reply 64
Hi does anyone have a key structure to follow when writing an answer for the extract question as a whole?
Do really think they'll ask something so niche considering out cohort of peers have never actually done exams before, like does anyone think it might be more general?

I think its more likely to be themed then character but they could do. but equally Othello / Emilia haven't came up on their own yet either so anything is a possibility

othello des naivety and men and gatsby 'true love is rarely achieved and never lasts' OR 'love as a source of happiness and fulfilment' (both v good)
Reply 67
what would some write in an essay on rosencrantz and guildenstern?
Original post by M00nlightt
yes either would be brilliant, especially familial love there's so much to say

i dont think they would do that because it doesn't apply to all texts
Reply 69
for othello, does anyone think there could be a question about the female characters in the play,they eg are only presented as a victim, or is that too similar to last year's? (desdemona's naivety to men)

also since theres never been a specific question on cassio or emilia, does anyone have an idea of what kind of question they could ask about them? i really don't understand how there could be a cassio question (although the roderigo and brabantio one was also bad so i dont doubt they COULD do a cassio question)
Reply 70
Original post by zzkng
for othello, does anyone think there could be a question about the female characters in the play,they eg are only presented as a victim, or is that too similar to last year's? (desdemona's naivety to men)

also since theres never been a specific question on cassio or emilia, does anyone have an idea of what kind of question they could ask about them? i really don't understand how there could be a cassio question (although the roderigo and brabantio one was also bad so i dont doubt they COULD do a cassio question)

I do hope they'll give a question on women cuz there's a lot to talk about.
They could ask a question on the relationship between Bianca and Cassio possibly. Or maybe Cassio's charming personality - idk
Reply 71
Original post by lara_westwood
I honestly have no clue at this point! I would love a question on like forbidden love/barriers to love or like role of women and societal convention/expectations!

role of women or societal anything would be a gift. i just did a random essay on isolation though as a curveball and that was surprisingly quite good. i'm thinking marriage could come up?
Reply 72
Original post by KathleenKerry
My dream question for WH and the poetry would be unrequited love, but maybe it could be like obsessive love, destructive love or jealousy? For Othello, they haven't used the extract with Emilia and Desdemona yet but I've noticed for the Othello exam question it's typical a given view which is negative so I don't really know what they could say for that maybe women's loyalty to their husbands?

waiit i'm interested. how are you getting a good essay from unrequited love in wuthering heights and poetry?? we did a plan essay for that today and safe to say i won't be choosing it lol
Reply 73
Do really think they'll ask something so niche considering out cohort of peers have never actually done exams before, like does anyone think it might be more general?

that's what i was thinking... like for section c i don't think they can be too mean. also because most of the other aqa exams so far have been pretty kind (as in no curveballs in the essay subjects) sooo fingers crossed?
Reply 74
looking at comments on here for predictions for othello... i'm going to focus on cassio, bianca and possibly amelia? but if it were to be a theme rather than a character what do we think could be likely?
Reading this is making me stress so much more !! Omg, Bianca ??? cassio and Emilia arent that bad but BIANCA? theres really not much to write about her in my opinion or if there is then I havent fully explored her characters significance i guess- usually Othello is my strongest question, I got an A in my last mock, but it really does depend on the question. 2022 had a blessing of a paper, is there ANY chance desdemona could come up again?
Original post by Fire dude
role of women or societal anything would be a gift. i just did a random essay on isolation though as a curveball and that was surprisingly quite good. i'm thinking marriage could come up?

I think marriage as well! I think its quite a common theme across all novels from the ones I do know and its apparent in the poems
Just my guesses ... Cassio's could maybe be looking at how he treats women (Bianca v Desdemona) ????? Emilia's i'd reckon would have something to do w/ the handkerchief and the conflict that causes (loyalty to Iago vs deception to Desdemona) ???? I doubt if it were on one of them it were to be just on them it would likely be relationships to another person I feel like
Original post by zzkng

I don't think jealousy has ever came up!
Original post by slayquee
looking at comments on here for predictions for othello... i'm going to focus on cassio, bianca and possibly amelia? but if it were to be a theme rather than a character what do we think could be likely?
Reply 79
Original post by slayquee

I asked chatgpt on topics that havent come up:

Characters:

Emilia: Emilia is a significant character in the play, serving as Iago's wife and Desdemona's maid. She develops a complex relationship with both Othello and Iago and plays a crucial role in the climax of the play. Exploring Emilia's character, her motivations, and her relationship with other characters can provide interesting insights.

Themes:

Appearance vs. Reality: This theme is prevalent throughout the play, as characters often conceal their true intentions and manipulate others through their outward appearances. Discussing how this theme is portrayed in Othello can provide a deeper understanding of the play's central conflicts.
Jealousy: While jealousy has been mentioned in relation to Othello, a specific exploration of this theme can provide further analysis. The destructive power of jealousy and its impact on relationships can be examined, focusing on how jealousy fuels the actions of characters such as Othello and Iago.
Gender and Patriarchy: Othello explores issues of gender and patriarchy, particularly through the portrayal of women in the play. Analyzing how gender roles and expectations shape the actions and motivations of characters can offer valuable insights into the larger themes of the play.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending