The Student Room Group

AQA A Level English Literature A Paper 1 (7712/1) - 24 May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yangoe
I asked chatgpt on topics that havent come up:

Characters:

Emilia: Emilia is a significant character in the play, serving as Iago's wife and Desdemona's maid. She develops a complex relationship with both Othello and Iago and plays a crucial role in the climax of the play. Exploring Emilia's character, her motivations, and her relationship with other characters can provide interesting insights.

Themes:

Appearance vs. Reality: This theme is prevalent throughout the play, as characters often conceal their true intentions and manipulate others through their outward appearances. Discussing how this theme is portrayed in Othello can provide a deeper understanding of the play's central conflicts.
Jealousy: While jealousy has been mentioned in relation to Othello, a specific exploration of this theme can provide further analysis. The destructive power of jealousy and its impact on relationships can be examined, focusing on how jealousy fuels the actions of characters such as Othello and Iago.
Gender and Patriarchy: Othello explores issues of gender and patriarchy, particularly through the portrayal of women in the play. Analyzing how gender roles and expectations shape the actions and motivations of characters can offer valuable insights into the larger themes of the play.

oh my god using chatgpt to predict (ish) genius!!
If jealousy was to come up that would be a dream
Original post by Fire dude
waiit i'm interested. how are you getting a good essay from unrequited love in wuthering heights and poetry?? we did a plan essay for that today and safe to say i won't be choosing it lol

It’s pretty niche and there’s not a lot to support it but I think I would do a part of my argument on young Cathy and Lockwood and compare it with who so list to hunt but obviously I don’t think you could do a full 25 marker on it 😂
Reply 83
Original post by Natania777
Hii, just curious to know if anyone has any idea what might come up on Wednesdays paper ? And does anyone know what the 2022 paper questions were on othello, unseen poetry and Gatsby?

For Othello, I'm personally predicting Emilia or Appearance vs Reality. Could also be jealousy which hasn't come up before, or something on gender and patriarchy. I'm hoping it won't be Cassio and Bianca as I feel they are limited in lines, though there's potential.

For comparison, I'm thinking of something to do with idealisation or maybe fate, though it really could be as random and vague as the 'happiness and fulfilment' past question
Reply 84
how are people revising for gatsby? i stupidly left things quite late so I dont think i have time to memorise gatsby quotes.. I get that gatsby will be open book though, does anyone have any good techniques of finding quotes quickly?
Original post by 16askewt
how are people revising for gatsby? i stupidly left things quite late so I dont think i have time to memorise gatsby quotes.. I get that gatsby will be open book though, does anyone have any good techniques of finding quotes quickly?

If you have any time i suggest writing a few flashcards on some strong quotes you find more memorable maybe ones you’ve used in a previous mock exam.
If not, go through a summary of the great gatsby and choose some key chapters that contain lots of areas to talk about like for example I like chapter 5 with daisy and Gatsby's reunion so then in the exam you can just go to chapter 5 and find some quotes from the reunion like maybe about the clock and how it represents time in Gatsby’s perspective
Does anyone else struggle with timings? thats literally my main worry right now. Even though we have 3 hours on this paper, I always seem to find myself behind and i dont want to lose marks because of it. Idk if this is stupid to ask but any tips for time management?
Reply 87
Hi,
just going through some quotes for gatsby and I was wondering if anybody knows if the Ch7 quote "so i walked away and left him standing there in the moonlight - watching over nothing" is an oxymoron or a paradox (or neither) this would really help thank you :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by slayingasavet
Does anyone else struggle with timings? thats literally my main worry right now. Even though we have 3 hours on this paper, I always seem to find myself behind and i dont want to lose marks because of it. Idk if this is stupid to ask but any tips for time management?

ahhh i'm the same, i'd probably say planning maybe is the best way to go? so that when you get set to write it can all flow well
How do you guys structure your gatsby and poetry comparison essay, I’m really over thinking it
Reply 90

split up your time evenly so for example we got told plan for 5 mins, write for 50 mins, check for 5 mins for each question. (so that's an hour on shakespeare, unseen poetry, comparing texts) although as it's unseen poetry as well u might need to spend longer as we need to read the poems. don't worry if you aren't writing loads, just make sure your argument is tight and linked to the question so don't feel as if you need to spend hours on it. quality not quantity! and maybe try writing an essay timed? hope this helps :smile:
Reply 91

i'd also suggest planning essays so you aren't worried when you open the paper and make links, e.g if you've planned passion and then it's seduction that would be a similar essay plan
Reply 92

Remember that quality matters more than quantity! my teacher showed my class some past paper answers, where people would still achieve highly without finishing the essay. I think I remember for an Othello question about 2 characters, the person still managed 19 without having been able to write much about one of the characters due to running out of time
Reply 93
Original post by Maddy piper
How do you guys structure your gatsby and poetry comparison essay, I’m really over thinking it

i'm pretty sure different schools do it differently but this is what we got taught:
thesis statement outlining gatsby and your 2 poems
1 paragraph on gatsby
another on gatsby (begin linking poems)
poem 1 (with links to gatsby)
poem 2 (with links to gatsby)
conclude
- as far as i'm aware there's no set structure it's just a comparison between gatsby/poetry and make sure you aren't writing too much gatsby or too much poetry, needs to compare both texts :smile:
Reply 94

I do Tess but it's the same thing anyways
intro
P1 Poem (topic sentence compares to prose, make some links throughout)
P2 Prose (topic sentence compares to poem, make some links throughout)
P1 Poem (topic sentence compares to prose, make some links throughout)
P2 Prose (topic sentence compares to poem, make some links throughout)
conclusion

I'd suggest starting with poetry first since the question requires you to use at least 2 poems, otherwise you'll be capped (at level 2 i believe). So if you run out of time, you're more likely to at least get 2 poems in
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 95
Original post by KathleenKerry
It’s pretty niche and there’s not a lot to support it but I think I would do a part of my argument on young Cathy and Lockwood and compare it with who so list to hunt but obviously I don’t think you could do a full 25 marker on it 😂

oh I guess so! I do post 1900 poetry with it which literally has only one with unrequited love and it's a Larkin one
Reply 96
join bc

Original post by 16askewt

try to look at pages 90-150 for quotes. some really good ones in there
Reply 97

-compare oldest and most recent poem
-compare gatsby with oldest poem (also throw in recent poem points)
-similarities between the three
-conclusion.

the module is love THROUGH the ages. it’s asking you to track a specific trend/theme throughout time and how it has changed/progressed/retrogressed.
Reply 98
It’s Emilia my friend saw the exam
Reply 99
RE Othello, I had a mock on "Cassio is a tragic innocent ensnared in Iago's plot" - could it be something along those lines?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending