The Student Room Group

geography or sociology?

so i have already picked my gcse options but we are allowed to change them because we are a bunch of indecisive teenagers

i am definitely picking history but I'm not sure whether to switch geography to sociology. has anybody done either of these at gcse level and can give me some advice please?
Original post by lexistar
so i have already picked my gcse options but we are allowed to change them because we are a bunch of indecisive teenagers

i am definitely picking history but I'm not sure whether to switch geography to sociology. has anybody done either of these at gcse level and can give me some advice please?

Hi!
I did GCSE Geography, and my school didn't offer sociology, even though it could if it tried. I think this is because sociology is not seen as favourably by universities (don't know why, I think they think it's too easy). However if you're interested in studying psychology at A Level then sociology would be useful.

Anyway, I didn't regret taking geography and found it interesting. I'm currently taking it for A Level and it's my easiest A Level. From my perspective, I would do geography because it's not that hard (at least for me) and potentially could give you more opportunities in the future.

Have you ever studied sociology before? I always find it risky studying a new subject so if you are interested in changing, make sure you look at what is actually involved in studying it e.g. look at the specification and past papers online. You could also ask a teacher or student currently doing sociology to find out what it's like.

Hope that helps and good luck with whichever you do. They're both very valid GCSEs :smile: you'll do fine either way.
Reply 2
we can change up to 2 weeks into y10 I think.

thanks for the recommendations, I'll do that!
Reply 3
I checked past papers and they seem interesting, I found a teacher doing quick sociology revision lessons on tiktok and it seemed really interesting

I did actually want to do psychology at A-level and geography honestly seems boring - like the human part is interesting but I hate the physical part. Even if sociology is easier that just means I can focus on science and get better grades.

The only thing about sociology is that I've seen the 2021 paper - terrifying. "Is sociology a science?" Like it would be fun to answer but also really hard by the looks of it but everybody just says geography is better. Yet I know I'm way more likely to take psychology A-level than geography so if I'm bored in it why would I take it just because "it's seen as better?"

Quick Reply

Latest