The Student Room Group

Electronic Music Production BA (HONS)

Hi - I have a few places to visit - does anyone have any feedback on BIMM (Brighton or Bristol), ACM at Guildford, DBS at Bristol, WaterBear in Brighton or Leed Conservatoire? Thank-you in advance
Hi there, this is my experience as someone who applied for this last year, although I can only speak for ACM.

In my experience, ACM don't actually care about its students. It's rather unfortunate that there are otherwise not a lot of routes into the industry, and I would be wary of going to an institution like ACM as they have a reputation for not actually teaching students and just using the money to siphon into their studios (Metropolis).

Thats not to say that there aren't good unis out there for this subject, but you will have to really do your due diligence to make sure that the uni u go to is a legit one. A big indicator is whether or not the uni is actually selective or not, which shows they look for quality students and not just take anyone. I've heard Leeds Conservatoire is good for this but you have to research to make sure.

Another option is to look to the US, as there are many prestigious schools like Berklee and NYU that have very prestigious music production programmes for undergraduates. There are a few in the UK too like the Royal Academy of Music or the Royal College of Music but some might not offer your course, and some may only offer a masters.

What I decided to do was to take a gap year and apply for something else entirely (Law at Oxford) whilst also going to a music production school during my gap year, I went to the London Sound Academy which I would recommend. My plan is to do my undergrad at Oxford, go to the US and do a masters in Law potentially at Harvard, and do another masters in a place like Berklee for music production, that way it leaves me plenty of avenues and it will all depend on how successful my releases are at the time where I decide to go after this.

I hope this helps, and with an industry like Music its a good idea to try to combine your studies with another strong subject like Law, as it leaves you plenty more options and security (I'm thinking about becoming a Music Lawyer if the artist side of things doesn't quite work, but knowing Music Law is incredibly useful as an artist for your own releases as well.)

I hope this all helps, good luck with it. :smile:

Original post by EmmaFarro
Hi - I have a few places to visit - does anyone have any feedback on BIMM (Brighton or Bristol), ACM at Guildford, DBS at Bristol, WaterBear in Brighton or Leed Conservatoire? Thank-you in advance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending