The Student Room Group

Interview Presentation Ideas/Help

hi guys,

basically ive been given an interview for a paralegal apprenticeship, i have to make a 10 minute presentation on something that represents me, or something of interest to me.

I don't really have any interests apart from Genetics (like the prospects of genetic modification and what we can do right now etc) but I don't really know if that topic would be appropriate... They specified they want to get to know my personality and interests via this presentation, hence my hesitation to do my presentation on this topic - I'm sure I could break it down fairly easily if I just choose a specific part like genetic modification as I can explain it well enough for my younger sister with no previous knowledge on the topic to understand what I'm talking about

Can anyone offer any suggestions/ topics they spoke about about to give me an idea of what to go for? I have a week to draft and perfect this and I really would like to get this job...
Reply 1
Choose a topic: Select a subject that represents you or is of particular interest to you. This could be a hobby, a personal experience, a cause you're passionate about, or a unique skill you possess.
Introduction: Start your presentation with a brief introduction that grabs the audience's attention. Share the topic you've chosen and explain why it is important or interesting to you.
Example: "Today, I'm going to share my passion for photography, which has not only become my favorite hobby but also a way for me to express my creativity and connect with the world around me."

Main points: Divide the presentation into 3-4 main points or sections that allow you to discuss different aspects of your topic. For each point, provide examples, stories, or insights to illustrate your connection to the subject.
Example sections for a photography presentation:

How I got started with photography
My favorite photography techniques and styles
The impact of photography on my personal growth
A showcase of my favorite photos and the stories behind them
Visual aids: Use visual aids, such as PowerPoint slides or printed materials, to support your presentation and make it more engaging. Include images, diagrams, or graphics that help illustrate your main points or showcase your work.
Interaction: Encourage audience engagement by incorporating interactive elements into your presentation. You could ask the audience questions, invite them to share their experiences, or include a brief activity related to your topic.
Conclusion: Summarize your main points and share a final thought or takeaway message for your audience. This should leave them with a clear understanding of why the topic is meaningful to you and, hopefully, inspire them to explore it further.
Example: "In conclusion, photography has been an incredibly rewarding journey for me, allowing me to see the world through a different lens and capture moments that would otherwise be lost in time. I hope my passion has inspired you to pick up a camera and start exploring the beauty around you."

Practice: Rehearse your presentation several times to ensure that you can deliver it smoothly and confidently within the 10-minute time frame. Time yourself during practice to make sure you stay within the allotted time.
By following these steps, you can create a well-structured and engaging 10-minute presentation that effectively showcases something that represents you or your interests.
Original post by H3nry_T
Choose a topic: Select a subject that represents you or is of particular interest to you. This could be a hobby, a personal experience, a cause you're passionate about, or a unique skill you possess.
Introduction: Start your presentation with a brief introduction that grabs the audience's attention. Share the topic you've chosen and explain why it is important or interesting to you.
Example: "Today, I'm going to share my passion for photography, which has not only become my favorite hobby but also a way for me to express my creativity and connect with the world around me."

Main points: Divide the presentation into 3-4 main points or sections that allow you to discuss different aspects of your topic. For each point, provide examples, stories, or insights to illustrate your connection to the subject.
Example sections for a photography presentation:

How I got started with photography
My favorite photography techniques and styles
The impact of photography on my personal growth
A showcase of my favorite photos and the stories behind them
Visual aids: Use visual aids, such as PowerPoint slides or printed materials, to support your presentation and make it more engaging. Include images, diagrams, or graphics that help illustrate your main points or showcase your work.
Interaction: Encourage audience engagement by incorporating interactive elements into your presentation. You could ask the audience questions, invite them to share their experiences, or include a brief activity related to your topic.
Conclusion: Summarize your main points and share a final thought or takeaway message for your audience. This should leave them with a clear understanding of why the topic is meaningful to you and, hopefully, inspire them to explore it further.
Example: "In conclusion, photography has been an incredibly rewarding journey for me, allowing me to see the world through a different lens and capture moments that would otherwise be lost in time. I hope my passion has inspired you to pick up a camera and start exploring the beauty around you."

Practice: Rehearse your presentation several times to ensure that you can deliver it smoothly and confidently within the 10-minute time frame. Time yourself during practice to make sure you stay within the allotted time.
By following these steps, you can create a well-structured and engaging 10-minute presentation that effectively showcases something that represents you or your interests.

oml i cant thank you enough - this has been so helpful thank you so much 😭😭 im not gonna lie im so scared this is my first time doing an interview requiring a presentation lmao but this has given me a good structure and idea of what to go for
Reply 3
Original post by beepbeepboop123
oml i cant thank you enough - this has been so helpful thank you so much 😭😭 im not gonna lie im so scared this is my first time doing an interview requiring a presentation lmao but this has given me a good structure and idea of what to go for

I think I sent off about 50+ applications and got around 4 interviews. I'm pretty sure I did a presentation and group exercise for most of them. so don't worry you'll get other chances. best of luck. make sure to practice IN FRONT OF SOMEONE. It really helps. :smile:
Original post by H3nry_T
I think I sent off about 50+ applications and got around 4 interviews. I'm pretty sure I did a presentation and group exercise for most of them. so don't worry you'll get other chances. best of luck. make sure to practice IN FRONT OF SOMEONE. It really helps. :smile:

yeah this one is a group and one to one as well as a written exercise but i know im on the quieter side so im really tryna pull through and come across as confident with the presentation and other exercises lol - tryna perfect it before another interview too which is before this one so i have a scaffold i can mould to whatever that company asks for too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending