The Student Room Group

Retaking my A-level maths after a degree in physics?

I recently graduated with a 1st in astrophysics and I'm currently doing a Masters at UCL. But in my A-levels I did very poorly (I got a BCD with the D in maths). I've been looking at possible career options and jobs in the finance industry seem to really appeal to me. But I've noticed that many ask for minimum A-level grades/ ucas points. Particularly, actuarial jobs seem to require a minimum of an A in A-level maths.

Obviously I'm far off many of the minimum requirements but given my first in physics and a masters from a top 10 uni would this pose a problem? I've been thinking about resitting my maths A-level (which I'm pretty confident that I could get at least an A in with my current abilities) but would this actually make any difference?
The only job adverts I've seen that ask for a minimum grade at GCSE or A-Level are those that don't require you to go to university... but to be fair I've never done any research or looked for jobs that have anything to do with astrophysics but still strikes me as odd that they'd ask that...

Any logical person would see that you, with a first in astrophysics and a UCL masters, could probably achieve an A* on A-Level Maths even when drunk, but job hunting is anything but logical so I don't know. What type of jobs are you specifically looking for?
Original post by Scotland Yard
The only job adverts I've seen that ask for a minimum grade at GCSE or A-Level are those that don't require you to go to university... but to be fair I've never done any research or looked for jobs that have anything to do with astrophysics but still strikes me as odd that they'd ask that...

Any logical person would see that you, with a first in astrophysics and a UCL masters, could probably achieve an A* on A-Level Maths even when drunk, but job hunting is anything but logical so I don't know. What type of jobs are you specifically looking for?

Honestly I'm just exploring my options right now. Finance jobs - particularly IB and Risk seem to be pretty interesting to me but most of them ask for alevels so are off the table for me it seems.
I was having a look at this website:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/actuary#qualifications

It says you usually need a B in A-Level Maths, unless you have studied actuarial science, and that doing a numerical degree might waive the requirement - I'd assume physics counts as a numerical degree.

So, you may be able to apply to these types of jobs without resitting A-Levels anyway, although hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will answer you. But in any case, if you need to resit Maths A-Level, I don't think you'd struggle much - or at all, so that's something for you to consider.
Original post by Scotland Yard
I was having a look at this website:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/actuary#qualifications

It says you usually need a B in A-Level Maths, unless you have studied actuarial science, and that doing a numerical degree might waive the requirement - I'd assume physics counts as a numerical degree.

So, you may be able to apply to these types of jobs without resitting A-Levels anyway, although hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will answer you. But in any case, if you need to resit Maths A-Level, I don't think you'd struggle much - or at all, so that's something for you to consider.

Thanks for that resource. I see that it says "Graduates must have a minimum of grade B in A-level mathematics and a grade C in another A-level subject." so it would seem that I would not qualify without resitting my maths a-level
The Institute and Faculty of Actuaries have no minimum maths required for you to start writing exams, although having A level maths or equivalent is highly recommended. I think retaking A level maths would be a complete waste since you already have a good numerate degree. I’d be really surprised if a prospective employer looked at your poor A levels and ignored your first class degree. (And if they actually did this, it would be a big red flag that this is not the kind of place where you want to work!)

Your time and money would be far better spent on writing your first actuarial exam. That would tell an employer more strongly than a retaken A level that you are serious about the profession and that you you have the ability to pass exams.

(Disclaimer: I’m a UK qualified actuary but I don’t work in the UK.)

Quick Reply

Latest