The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature GCSE- Model Answers needed.

hi everyone!

im in yr11 and i do aqa, studying aic, jekyll and hyde, macbeth and power and conflict.

i wanted to ask for revision tips and model essays(especially for jekyll and hyde and macbeth) because i havent been able to get above a 7.

thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by ayc33
hi everyone!

im in yr11 and i do aqa, studying aic, jekyll and hyde, macbeth and power and conflict.

i wanted to ask for revision tips and model essays(especially for jekyll and hyde and macbeth) because i havent been able to get above a 7.

thank you!

Hullo there! Before I dive in, just thought I'd say, always remember that a grade 7 is still a brilliant grade (that's an A!), so try not to push yourself too hard: I always say, work for a 8/9, but aim for a 7. That said, kudos to you for seeking to increase your grade :smile:.

In regard to model essays, I find that Mr Bruff on YouTube has a brilliant array of exemplar/model answers, especially for AIC and Macbeth. Those are good to analyse and compare with your own. Mr Salles Teaches English is also nice. It may also be worth checking out the mark schemes and examiner reports for English Lit (check out here). They're really useful for seeing what you need, and what the examiners want to see.

In regard to revising, I would recommend several methods. Firstly, you have probably already done this to achieve 7s, revise key quotes that can be applied to a range of topics. Analyse them carefully so when you get into an exam you're basically just recalling what you've already considered, it makes it much easier.
Secondly, have you used 'gimme 5' before? It's useful for memorising what you need, e.g. alternative interpretations, writers want, effect on reader, atmosphere and context and such.
Unjaded Jade has a really good video on what to include (search up achieving 9s for English Lit GCSE, Unjaded Jade and it'll be there), that explains everything you need.
While I'm not a straight A* student myself, I find what really gets you the higher marks is 1: structuring your writing into paragraphs and intros/conclusions and reinforcing that answer to the question literally every paragraph, at the beginning and end, and really analysing those quotes: a good quote analysis, taking into account everything from methods, structure to atmosphere, purpose and context can stretch out for nearly a whole paragraph. You need to consider the explicit meaning first, like the method (e.g. metaphor) and what it does, and then break it down - this word connotes this, etc., while using monosyllabic words throughout the sentences shows anger, as an example.

You probably know a tonne of this already, but hopefully at least some of it is new :smile:. I really hope this helped, and my best wishes for your exams!
Reply 2
Nearly forgot too, do untimed and timed past papers to see how well you respond to them. Maybe do a couple of each. Consider what you would change a couple of days afterwards looking over it (to refresh your brain), and then rewrite it with things you could add to make it better. I personally find that really useful, as then in exams you know what you should always include to improve solely your own work. Good luck again :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by {Moss}
Hullo there! Before I dive in, just thought I'd say, always remember that a grade 7 is still a brilliant grade (that's an A!), so try not to push yourself too hard: I always say, work for a 8/9, but aim for a 7. That said, kudos to you for seeking to increase your grade :smile:.

In regard to model essays, I find that Mr Bruff on YouTube has a brilliant array of exemplar/model answers, especially for AIC and Macbeth. Those are good to analyse and compare with your own. Mr Salles Teaches English is also nice. It may also be worth checking out the mark schemes and examiner reports for English Lit (check out here). They're really useful for seeing what you need, and what the examiners want to see.

In regard to revising, I would recommend several methods. Firstly, you have probably already done this to achieve 7s, revise key quotes that can be applied to a range of topics. Analyse them carefully so when you get into an exam you're basically just recalling what you've already considered, it makes it much easier.
Secondly, have you used 'gimme 5' before? It's useful for memorising what you need, e.g. alternative interpretations, writers want, effect on reader, atmosphere and context and such.
Unjaded Jade has a really good video on what to include (search up achieving 9s for English Lit GCSE, Unjaded Jade and it'll be there), that explains everything you need.
While I'm not a straight A* student myself, I find what really gets you the higher marks is 1: structuring your writing into paragraphs and intros/conclusions and reinforcing that answer to the question literally every paragraph, at the beginning and end, and really analysing those quotes: a good quote analysis, taking into account everything from methods, structure to atmosphere, purpose and context can stretch out for nearly a whole paragraph. You need to consider the explicit meaning first, like the method (e.g. metaphor) and what it does, and then break it down - this word connotes this, etc., while using monosyllabic words throughout the sentences shows anger, as an example.

You probably know a tonne of this already, but hopefully at least some of it is new :smile:. I really hope this helped, and my best wishes for your exams!

thank you so so much!!
it was all really helpful advice and ill definitely try and incorporate all of it, especially the 'gimme 5'.

thank you again! :smile::smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ayc33
thank you so so much!!
it was all really helpful advice and ill definitely try and incorporate all of it, especially the 'gimme 5'.

thank you again! :smile::smile:

That's great, glad to help! Best of luck with your exams :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending