The Student Room Group

Volunteer for GCSE students applying to med school

Hi! I’m currently in Year 9 (age 13, turning 14 soon), and hoping to apply to med school in the future, aiming for Cambridge. Does anyone have any recommendations on volunteering or online courses with certificates of completion etc which may be helpful? Thanks! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
hello!
Assuming ur in uk cos u said year 9 you don't need to worry too much rn cos in year 10 you should get one week work experience to think about all this
But medic mentor is an amazing place to apply and gain online experience I believe they have a medicine and dental program but I think they do require some payment for their work experience.. Their first session is free though so you should try it out for sure!
Apart from that working as a volunteer in care homes
Or in a pharmacy is good! As you can't really work in a hospital below 16.. I hope this was kinda helpful
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Ann2009
Hi! I’m currently in Year 9 (age 13, turning 14 soon), and hoping to apply to med school in the future. Does anyone have any recommendations on volunteering or online courses with certificates of completion etc which may be helpful? Thanks! :smile:)

Trust me with this, (I have 3 medicine offers), don't bother with any volunteering or workexperience for the sake of medicine admissions currently, they are unlikely to have any extra bearing. You read around the subject, such as books like Do No Harm, War Doctor, Fragile lives, Knife's Edge, watch documentaries such as Surgeon's Cut etc. Nurture your passion currently. Trust me, you will benefit much mroe when you do your volunteering in yr11 summer and yr12 than now. Get your GCSEs fixed for now, and enjoy the last year of relaxation for a while! :smile:
Reply 3
Okay, thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by hiridsie
hello!
Assuming ur in uk cos u said year 9 you don't need to worry too much rn cos in year 10 you should get one week work experience to think about all this
But medic mentor is an amazing place to apply and gain online experience I believe they have a medicine and dental program but I think they do require some payment for their work experience.. Their first session is free though so you should try it out for sure!
Apart from that working as a volunteer in care homes
Or in a pharmacy is good! As you can't really work in a hospital below 16.. I hope this was kinda helpful
Reply 4
Oh okay! Will read those books - thanks for the recommendations! :smile:
Original post by HawkingRadiation
Trust me with this, (I have 3 medicine offers), don't bother with any volunteering or workexperience for the sake of medicine admissions currently, they are unlikely to have any extra bearing. You read around the subject, such as books like Do No Harm, War Doctor, Fragile lives, Knife's Edge, watch documentaries such as Surgeon's Cut etc. Nurture your passion currently. Trust me, you will benefit much mroe when you do your volunteering in yr11 summer and yr12 than now. Get your GCSEs fixed for now, and enjoy the last year of relaxation for a while! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending