The Student Room Group

Am I on the right track for Oxford medicine?

Hi guys, I wanted to know if I’m doing enough right now to even be considered a candidate for Oxford medicine. I’m only in year eleven but my gcse mock grades are:
Religious studies 9
Business 9
English Literature 9
English Language 9
Chemistry 9
Biology 8
Geography 8
Maths 7
French 7
Physics 6 (I was very ill that day but I wanted to get it over with, last time I got an 8)

I also volunteer at the stroke unit at the hospital 3hours per week, I plan to do another full week at a disabled children school during the summer, I also work at an 11+ tutoring centre as a class assistant and at kumon. I hope my grades won’t let me down, I’ve only started revising for my gcses now, and I think I’ll define out improve in all of them. I am also giving a TEDX talk this September which will be uploaded, I also started and set up the medicine club for younger years and i am planning be set up and act as editor for a new STEM section in the school newsletter. My school also introduced an academic journal which is published biannually, so I hope to publish two medicine related articles in y12. For a levels I chose biology chemistry psychology. Any advice or responses will be so appreciated or am I cooked
(edited 1 month ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Leannelireau
Hi guys, I wanted to know if I’m doing enough right now to even be considered a candidate for Oxford medicine. I’m only in year eleven but my gcse mock grades are:
Religious studies 9
Business 9
English Literature 9
English Language 9
Chemistry 9
Biology 8
Geography 8
Maths 7
French 7
Physics 6 (I was very ill that day but I wanted to get it over with, last time I got an 8)
I also volunteer at the stroke unit at the hospital 3hours per week, I plan to do another full week at a disabled children school during the summer, I also work at an 11+ tutoring centre. I hope my grades won’t let me down, I’ve only started revising for my gcses now, and I think I’ll define out improve in all of them. I am also giving a TEDX talk this September which will be uploaded, I also started and set up the junior medicine hub for younger years and i am planning be set up and act as editor for a new STEM section in the school newsletter. My school also introduced an academic journal which is published biannually, so I hope to publish two medicine related articles in y12. For a levels I chose biology chemistry psychology. Any advice or responses will be so appreciated or am I cooked
Nah Bro you made it, the grades you’ve got is fantastic but what most importantly for right now is a levels, I know Oxford is hungry for good a level more than gcse
i wish i was doing all this back then man aha your doing great man just stick at it
Religious studies 9
Business 9
English Literature 9
English Language 9
Chemistry 9
Biology 8
Geography 8
Maths 7
French 7
I also volunteer at the stroke unit at the hospital 3hours per week, I plan to do another full week at a disabled children school during the summer, I also work at an 11+ tutoring centre. I hope my grades won’t let me down, I’ve only started revising for my gcses now, and I think I’ll define out improve in all of them. I am also giving a TEDX talk this September which will be uploaded, I also started and set up the junior medicine hub for younger years and i am planning be set up and act as editor for a new STEM section in the school newsletter. My school also introduced an academic journal which is published biannually, so I hope to publish two medicine related articles in y12. For a levels I chose biology chemistry psychology. Any advice or responses will be so appreciated or am I cooked
hi! I thought you needed physics/maths for oxford med?
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/medicine#:~:text=A%2Dlevels%3A,Physics%2C%20Mathematics%20or%20Further%20Mathematics.
Religious studies 9
Business 9
English Literature 9
English Language 9
Chemistry 9
Biology 8
Geography 8
Maths 7
French 7
Please don't tutor for the 11+ - it will not be something valued by Oxford and is not a good thing to do. Did you know that these students struggle later?
Why do you want to study Medicine at Oxford btw?
Religious studies 9
Business 9
English Literature 9
English Language 9
Chemistry 9
Biology 8
Geography 8
Maths 7
French 7
for gcse's at oxford, especially for med you want 8s and 9s. preferably all 9s now . so practise your subjects for the exam where you do get those 9s.

secondally medicine as a degree doesn't really look at prestige, the GMC sees all degrees as equal, and the overall uni doesn't matter at all when you do start a career in this field. while prestige may matter for many uni courses, It won't really for med. so don't be hung over one uni, but be for the course if its med. while it is an assumption I made on why you are resolved on ofxord it seems here's some things above.

oxford and Cambridge I'm pretty sure look at super curricular, stuff relevant to your academics and field you plan on going. so for oxford while its good to do those activities, as they are fun and good, its not going to make much of a difference in an application. I'll say again, they are interested in your academics mainly.
Whatt and your still asking if your cooked? those grades look good but si oxford only takes from a'level yh?
Original post by Muttley79
Please don't tutor for the 11+ - it will not be something valued by Oxford and is not a good thing to do. Did you know that these students struggle later?
Why do you want to study Medicine at Oxford btw?
I work at an tutoring centre and I’m a class assistant and I work at kumon I’m not the actual tutor just to make it clear I’ll edit it!
Original post by jacksmith23
for gcse's at oxford, especially for med you want 8s and 9s. preferably all 9s now . so practise your subjects for the exam where you do get those 9s.
secondally medicine as a degree doesn't really look at prestige, the GMC sees all degrees as equal, and the overall uni doesn't matter at all when you do start a career in this field. while prestige may matter for many uni courses, It won't really for med. so don't be hung over one uni, but be for the course if its med. while it is an assumption I made on why you are resolved on ofxord it seems here's some things above.
oxford and Cambridge I'm pretty sure look at super curricular, stuff relevant to your academics and field you plan on going. so for oxford while its good to do those activities, as they are fun and good, its not going to make much of a difference in an application. I'll say again, they are interested in your academics mainly.

So would hospital volunteering since year 11, a ted talk related to healthcare, starting up the medicine club at school, and the volunteering at the disabled children’s school in the summer count as super curriculars? I’m also aiming to read a few books related to medicine in the summer and get some work experience in the future. Thanks
Original post by Anonymous #1
i wish i was doing all this back then man aha your doing great man just stick at it
Thank you!!
Original post by Smartmohmaedx
Nah Bro you made it, the grades you’ve got is fantastic but what most importantly for right now is a levels, I know Oxford is hungry for good a level more than gcse
Thanks!! Yeah I’m deffo going to focus on gcses rn I acc need to get locked in but I predict I’ll get all nines apart from maths and french where I’ll get an 8
I work at an tutoring centre and I’m a class assistant and I work at kumon I’m not the actual tutor just to make it clear I’ll edit it!
Kumon is toxic - please resign and do something more useful. It is not a good product to be involved with.
Oxford are extremely GCSE heavy and in previous years students have on average had more than 10 A* grades (8/9 grades) at GCSE, with a high proportion >90% at A*. You aren't too close to that unfortunately so it would likely not be a good choice of medical school to apply to.

Fortunately which medical school you attend makes no difference, as the GMC considers all medical schools equal, and the NHS (which is the only provider of graduate medical training posts in the UK) takes this stance and blinds recruiters from your medical school to ensure there can't be any bias based on which medical school you went to.

If you do get all A* equivalents at GCSE then it may be an option, if not it would likely be a waste of an option and mean that you are effectively only applying to 3 medical schools and not 4. Applying to medical school is all about applying tactically based on your strengths and understanding how medical schools shortlist and score applicants.

But in the meantime I'd probably consider other medical schools more broadly - many don't score GCSEs at all (e.g. UCL, Imperial), are more holistic (e.g. Cambridge) or only score a set number in a specific way which may or may not play to your strengths here (e.g. Birmingham).
Original post by Muttley79
Kumon is toxic - please resign and do something more useful. It is not a good product to be involved with.
No 😂
Original post by artful_lounger
Oxford are extremely GCSE heavy and in previous years students have on average had more than 10 A* grades (8/9 grades) at GCSE, with a high proportion >90% at A*. You aren't too close to that unfortunately so it would likely not be a good choice of medical school to apply to.
Fortunately which medical school you attend makes no difference, as the GMC considers all medical schools equal, and the NHS (which is the only provider of graduate medical training posts in the UK) takes this stance and blinds recruiters from your medical school to ensure there can't be any bias based on which medical school you went to.
If you do get all A* equivalents at GCSE then it may be an option, if not it would likely be a waste of an option and mean that you are effectively only applying to 3 medical schools and not 4. Applying to medical school is all about applying tactically based on your strengths and understanding how medical schools shortlist and score applicants.
But in the meantime I'd probably consider other medical schools more broadly - many don't score GCSEs at all (e.g. UCL, Imperial), are more holistic (e.g. Cambridge) or only score a set number in a specific way which may or may not play to your strengths here (e.g. Birmingham).
An 8 and 9 are seen as A*s so I would’ve gotten 7 A*s, and I know I can easily improve on maths and French as I didn’t revise it and physics I was ill, so surely I would have a chance when I actually succeed in my gcses?
An 8 and 9 are seen as A*s so I would’ve gotten 7 A*s, and I know I can easily improve on maths and French as I didn’t revise it and physics I was ill, so surely I would have a chance when I actually succeed in my gcses?
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics/text-equivalent-of-the-bar-charts-on-the-shortlisting-process-and-admissions-statistics-webpage

you can check the stats yourself, do it after gcse;s tho. you also have an entrance exam which they give a weigh in, and the predicted grades
No 😂
I teach Maths and have looked at Kumon in detail - it actually damages students as it doesn't match the new curriculum. Get a job in a care home and that WILL help with your application.
Religious studies 9
Business 9
English Literature 9
English Language 9
Chemistry 9
Biology 8
Geography 8
Maths 7
French 7
I also volunteer at the stroke unit at the hospital 3hours per week, I plan to do another full week at a disabled children school during the summer, I also work at an 11+ tutoring centre as a class assistant and at kumon. I hope my grades won’t let me down, I’ve only started revising for my gcses now, and I think I’ll define out improve in all of them. I am also giving a TEDX talk this September which will be uploaded, I also started and set up the medicine club for younger years and i am planning be set up and act as editor for a new STEM section in the school newsletter. My school also introduced an academic journal which is published biannually, so I hope to publish two medicine related articles in y12. For a levels I chose biology chemistry psychology. Any advice or responses will be so appreciated or am I cooked

I'd say that those gcses look fantastic, probably better to get a 9 in biology but you have time dw. You also have a lot of supercurriculars which are good. Honestly you're doing great, I think you definitely have a chance at Oxford if you keep up the a level grades at the same standard. You will also need to ace the med exam, but dw about that for now. Look at admission stats if you're too worried, but if you continue at your pace you'll do magnificently!
Original post by ELEPHANTRAT
I'd say that those gcses look fantastic, probably better to get a 9 in biology but you have time dw. You also have a lot of supercurriculars which are good. Honestly you're doing great, I think you definitely have a chance at Oxford if you keep up the a level grades at the same standard. You will also need to ace the med exam, but dw about that for now. Look at admission stats if you're too worried, but if you continue at your pace you'll do magnificently!
agreed, but burnout is a concern aswell with regards to non academic things the person has done.
I go to Oxford (but do law not medicine) and I didn’t do anything in year 11 other than revise/try to get the best GCSEs possible. I wouldn’t worry too much about super curriculars until at least year 12

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending