The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

What are the modules like in the MRes/PhD in Economics

As an undergraduate, I have always taken a 'medical underload', i.e., I enrolled in 90 in lieu of the regular 120 credits p.a. at my uni, extending my overall programme duration to six instead of four years. This has been perfect for me, as my psychosomatic disability would not have allowed me to take more modules.

I would like to continue this way during my PhD studies, too, and only take three modules per term.

My personal tutor completed his under- and postgraduate studies in the US and worked there as a lecturer before receiving a call to a full chair here in the UK. He has encouraged me to pursue PhD studies in his country of birth, as he fears British universities may not be inclusive enough to accommodate for disabled students like me. My thesis supervisor, who read economics at LSE, has heartened me to consider the MRes/PhD at her alma mater.

I am indecisive.

What are the first two years like at LSE, pls? Unlike many other institutions (QMUL, Exeter, Cambridge, UCL), LSE requires its economics student to complete 'only' three modules each term anyway (one in advanced micro, one in advanced macro, and one in econometrics) in the first year. Is this course-load 'lighter' than taking 4 modules each semester at undergraduate level, or are they just incredibly work-intenser.

In the latter case, I would only be able to complete two of them each term and have to extend the MRes duration from two to three years.

What is your experience like at LSE, pls?

My two economics profs have discouraged me from enquiring at LSE about whether a medical 'underload' would be realisable as this might torpedo my admissions chances and wait for an offer before openly discussing my needs.

Thanks a lot for your insight and advice. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending