The Student Room Group

Why don't employers call back?

I've applied to a few jobs and I have been interviewed. After the interview, I thought I'd be getting a call back. But I don't. Is this normal?
Original post by DaydreamingTeen
I've applied to a few jobs and I have been interviewed. After the interview, I thought I'd be getting a call back. But I don't. Is this normal?

Very normal pre interview. Strange after interview. The excuse they use is: we have thousands of applicants and cant reply to everyone, but that doesn’t make it easier to accept.

The way I look at it is this: it’s a two way street and they have got to want you too, and if they don’t have the respect to get to you after interview, do you really want to work for a company like that?
Original post by boulderingislife
Very normal pre interview. Strange after interview. The excuse they use is: we have thousands of applicants and cant reply to everyone, but that doesn’t make it easier to accept.

The way I look at it is this: it’s a two way street and they have got to want you too, and if they don’t have the respect to get to you after interview, do you really want to work for a company like that?

so true

Most companies get back to you, even its just a quick email to say you havent got the job. Unfortunately it does sometimes happen though.
Its bit rude really when they dont, as they have narrowed it down to the X amount of people they want to interview, interviewed you etc. And you have taken the time to go to the interview (and tried your best). They may have had better candidates, but the least they can do is let you know that you werent successful.
I know at the initial applying stage, many dont get back to you unless they want to take things further (e.g. an initial chat over the phone, interview etc) as they can have a lot of applications. But if they have narrowed it down and actually interviewed you (and you have taken the time to go to said interview) then the least they can do is let you know.
Like i say, a lot of companies will get back to you, but unfortunately some dont. Ive had it done to me quite a few times.
Original post by Emma:-)
Most companies get back to you, even its just a quick email to say you havent got the job. Unfortunately it does sometimes happen though.
Its bit rude really when they dont, as they have narrowed it down to the X amount of people they want to interview, interviewed you etc. And you have taken the time to go to the interview (and tried your best). They may have had better candidates, but the least they can do is let you know that you werent successful.
I know at the initial applying stage, many dont get back to you unless they want to take things further (e.g. an initial chat over the phone, interview etc) as they can have a lot of applications. But if they have narrowed it down and actually interviewed you (and you have taken the time to go to said interview) then the least they can do is let you know.
Like i say, a lot of companies will get back to you, but unfortunately some dont. Ive had it done to me quite a few times.

true, it is quite rude.
i mean, its a local shop. but idk. I just thought there was a halo effect and I probably didn't have that going on. So I did not have the courtesy of getting a call back to reject me.
Anyways, thank you for your response
Plenty of companies will only contact the successful job applicants.
They often have a very high volume of applicants for roles that they have advertised and also get plenty of speculative applications.
Don't have the time or inclination to contact everyone nor respond to requests for feedback.
Have you tried any mock interviews?
Original post by Lumin88Ent
Have you tried any mock interviews?

nope
nope

Preparation can only help you. Speak to your school/university’s career advisors to arrange one, or ask some friends or family

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending