The Student Room Group

why are kids so rude

My little sister was so rude to me and my parents don’t even say anything. How can kids not respect their elders they have a disgusting attitude
Original post by Quotings
My little sister was so rude to me and my parents don’t even say anything. How can kids not respect their elders they have a disgusting attitude

You got to question upbringing then don’t you?
Either how they were raised or being influenced by other children they are around (usually at School) It's very typical for parents to allow the younger children to get away with everything.
Children don't have a filter so they don't hold back and if your parents don't say anything then they won't stop because they have no reason to
Maybe your parents agreed you had it coming? *shrug*
"Respect your elders" was/still is one of the most annoying and antiquated things I have ever heard. A load of Victorian bs if you ask me. Age doesn't confer respect. Being a decent human does.

Perhaps refrain from saying she has a disgusting attitude and understand she is a child. Maybe the problem is not her, but you and your parents. Just throwing that out there. Kids will be kids, after all.
Original post by fec1864
"Respect your elders" was/still is one of the most annoying and antiquated things I have ever heard. A load of Victorian bs if you ask me. Age doesn't confer respect

Trying it on a sibling rather than a child is an exceptional low as well :biggrin:
Original post by StriderHort
Trying it on a sibling rather than a child is an exceptional low as well :biggrin:

I know, right?

I noted as a child the family members who repeated this bizarre proverb over and over were the ones who were typically ars*holes.
There's a variety of reasons for why some kids are so rude.
They are foul mouthed jerks by nature, have never been discliplined or taught to be polite, want to look edgy, were raised by rude adults & are following the example that they have been set and are spoilt brats whose rudeness has always been ignored or pandered to.

That said, nobody is entitled to automatic respect.
Regardless of their age.
Never ask a child for an opinion on how you look cause they will be brutally honest and not hold back. They have no filter and that’s why I don’t like most kids. They’re rude af for no reason
(edited 1 year ago)

I totally agree with you that some kids are very rude. That's why they're kids. From my perspective, we have to tolerate them for a certain period as they lack knowledge about most things. Some kids are obnoxious naturally, and it's impossible to amend their rudeness. Thus, I believe that the best course of action for them would be to let them mature, after which they would begin to grasp things. And for the remainder, parenting is likely the key factor contributing to rudeness. Because of this, I think calmly explaining to them what behaviours are impolite to others is the greatest way to try to communicate with them.
Respect isn’t given it is earned. Doesn't matter if you’re 50 or 10. Sounds like you need to make an effort to get respect from your sister and not blame it on your parents.
Reply 12
How old is your little sister?

I agree with most posters, sometimes it is from their surrounding and the role models they see, they’re naturally like that and those who are strictly disciplined tend to be less because they’re often shown consequences of their actions.

For a very young child, they aren’t able to regulate their mood and emotions like how a normal adult would. For example, when I babysit my little niece, she would throw tantrums and starts throwing stuff, I’m sure she wasn’t taught to throw things when she’s angry but this is how she communicate her frustration.

Since when does "elders" include siblings? Being disrespectful to your older siblings has always been a part of being a younger sibling. Maybe try and be their friend and companion and not hassle them?
Teacher here. Posting to subscribe.
Just show 'em a little discipline with a slap across the head, sorted.

Quick Reply

Latest