The Student Room Group

Using flashcards - GCSE revision

Hi,
I have 5 weeks until my first GCSE exam. I haven't created any revision resources and haven't actually properly started to revise. People say that it is a waste of time to make flashcards now as you should have already made them and instead you should we doing past paper practise. I understand the importance of this so I tried it today but I only got 35% in all 3 sciences. I need to learn the content first to actually do well.

So if anyone has been in this situation or knows what I should do, please help me out. What revision method should I use to learn and understand content fast so that I have time to do past papers later? Flashcards, blurting, mind maps?...

I will really appreciate if you help. Thank you.
Reply 1
im still in year 11 but honestly i would say just do flashcards like this week bam out everything so you can undestand, make flashcards, then over the next 2 weeks make sure to review those flashcards daily and do topic questions on things that you're getting wrong on past papers. but yeah i agree learn the content before you start applying it, then spend the last 2 weeks solely focussing on past papers
Hey, 5 weeks is enough time but you need to bang it out. At this point the best thing to do to get the highest grade possible is to do past papers along with the mark scheme. Attempt to do all of the papers available to you.

1) attempt a past paper in timed conditions
2) mark
3) look at incorrect answers and if you understand make a flash card
4) if you don’t understand, go on savemyexams (or whatever resources you use) and find the notes relating to that question. Try to understand, maybe ask a friend or your teacher to explain the question/concept.
4) once understood make another flash card
5) go through flash cards again and again so if the question comes up again in the exam (probs will) you know exactly what to say
6) repeat

Also use quizlet to make flash cards. Don’t make handwritten flash cards, take too long.
You can always dm me if you have any science/maths related questions 💕
Original post by Student Wolf
Hi,
I have 5 weeks until my first GCSE exam. I haven't created any revision resources and haven't actually properly started to revise. People say that it is a waste of time to make flashcards now as you should have already made them and instead you should we doing past paper practise. I understand the importance of this so I tried it today but I only got 35% in all 3 sciences. I need to learn the content first to actually do well.

So if anyone has been in this situation or knows what I should do, please help me out. What revision method should I use to learn and understand content fast so that I have time to do past papers later? Flashcards, blurting, mind maps?...

I will really appreciate if you help. Thank you.

Heya!
I would recommend doing a combination. Do focus on past papers but you can also make flashcards out of the questions you got wrong and use active recall to memorise the material :h: If it helps, Study Mind has great science resources for free from revision notes to practice questions! Make sure to go over the mark scheme as well!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest