The Student Room Group

what year do you sit the AS exams

im in yr 12 currently and want know if i will be sitting AS exams in may as i do bio chem and english as some people are saying you do AS in yr 13 and other say you do AS in yr 12 this yr
as exams are done in y12 a level exams are done in y13
Original post by Saima.Hussain.
im in yr 12 currently and want know if i will be sitting AS exams in may as i do bio chem and english as some people are saying you do AS in yr 13 and other say you do AS in yr 12 this yr

Most schools in England don't enter candidates for AS exams. Of course there are exceptions, I know one local college that enters almost everyone in Year 12 for AS exams. A few schools also provide the option for students who won't carry a specific subject into year 13. Since the changes to A levels in England a few years ago, most students just take the full A level exams in year 13. If you were taking AS exams in May/June you would already know about it from your teachers.

In Wales and N.Ireland students still take AS in year 12 and A2 in year 13. Edexcel international A level candidates do the same, though because they are modular many candidates try to use the flexibility to compress their study into less than 2 full school years. Some Cambridge candidates also split AS and A2 exams but it is quite common for them to take composite exams (AS and A2 at the same time).
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest