The Student Room Group

Is it possible to take a gcse exam without doing the course?

I'm 26 and I'd rather honestly just do the exams to see what grades I get instead of doing the courses over a year or two. Does anyone know if its possible to just book an exam and that's it?
You can sit exams via private centres, meaning you wouldn't have to enrol in a programme of study, you would just self learn as a private candidate
Reply 2
Original post by Squiggles1238
You can sit exams via private centres, meaning you wouldn't have to enrol in a programme of study, you would just self learn as a private candidate

Would that still mean a year or two of study or? I kinda just want to take an exam to see what grades I would get :/
Original post by Munky182
Would that still mean a year or two of study or? I kinda just want to take an exam to see what grades I would get :/

I believe you can just find a local exam centre and apply to sit the exams in that centre. This obviously does cost money. Why do you want to take the exams without any study if you don't mind me asking? It would have been a long time since you studied at GCSE level, and so as you're paying all this money to take these exams, it would be beneficial to actually study for them?
Also, what subject/s are you wanting to take?
Reply 5
I'm 26 and I'd rather honestly just do the exams to see what grades I get instead of doing the courses over a year or two. Does anyone know if its possible to just book an exam and that's it?

Just do a past paper and look at grade boundaries to figure out which grade ur at. CHeapeat and simplest way
Reply 6
Original post by Squiggles1238
Also, what subject/s are you wanting to take?

I suppose at the age of 26 I feel like I don't want to be spending lots of time in education, to me it feels like an old age but I know there's people much older than 26.. and english/maths
I suppose at the age of 26 I feel like I don't want to be spending lots of time in education, to me it feels like an old age but I know there's people much older than 26.. and english/maths

I can completely understand that, but don't let age be a barrier to you! In the long run, one or two years doing part time study for those GCSEs will be worth it, and I'm sure you'll get a better grade than if you were to just sit the exams without any real prep.

Quick Reply

Latest