The Student Room Group

Is it possible to appeal a rejection from a University based on insufficient grades?

I applied to my first choice and they have rejected me because my grades aren't good enough, 2 C grades and an E is below what they were asking by a long shot but I live in more deprived area and I've been told Newcastle Uni offers positions to people with grades they usually wouldn't accept. Is there anything I could possibly do to change their mind?
Reply 1
Have you tried asking if they'll accept you for the foundation year for that course? Usually, they accept students for that and you can just progress to the first year of the course the next year. The E is quite a low grade, and I think being able to re-learn the content in a better environment will be good for you. It'll also be a great way to show them that you can do better if given better opportunities.
Reply 2
The university would have contextualised your grades already, telling them where you live doesn’t matter they would have already used that data. Your best shot is to apply through clearing! or next year - possibly a foundation course too
As above, I think a foundation year is your only realistic option, (although if you exceed those predictions you should look at clearing or a gap year).

The uni should have considered contextual markers already, but even if they didn’t I suspect those grades are too low even for a contextual offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending