The Student Room Group

urgent help regarding ucas appeal on withdrawn application

hi everyone I hope you are well, i need any bit of help and support regarding my current situation. ucas have withdrawn my application over my grades. i'm a mature student and have decided to start uni afresh since i was very ill when i had partaken my initially degree a couple of years ago. for the academic year of 2023 i applied to kcl and they were very nice and just requested my a levels and an academic reference. i supplied everything and all was ok. i even have a years worth of teaching experience within my chosen degree (english) as i began to work full-time as a TA and gained extensive experience within that sector. i'm so upset and feel like i still deserve a place at uni. i want to write a strong email/letter against their decision but i dont know where to start. how should i approach this? i even checked clearing and kcl aren't offering places anymore :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by fabiha34
hi everyone I hope you are well, i need any bit of help and support regarding my current situation. ucas have withdrawn my application over my grades. i'm a mature student and have decided to start uni afresh since i was very ill when i had partaken my initially degree a couple of years ago. for the academic year of 2023 i applied to kcl and they were very nice and just requested my a levels and an academic reference. i supplied everything and all was ok. i even have a years worth of teaching experience within my chosen degree (english) as i began to work full-time as a TA and gained extensive experience within that sector. i'm so upset and feel like i still deserve a place at uni. i want to write a strong email/letter against their decision but i dont know where to start. how should i approach this? i even checked clearing and kcl aren't offering places anymore :frown:

I think your best chance is to contact Kings directly either by email or what is probably best phone, and if anything goes ahead make sure to get their email to keep in touch and follow up.

But there are other good universities out there especially for English who could take you, but Kings do have higher entry requirements so they may not be so lenient on grades depending on what you got.

But i hope it works out well for you, good luck
Reply 2
Original post by maebby
I think your best chance is to contact Kings directly either by email or what is probably best phone, and if anything goes ahead make sure to get their email to keep in touch and follow up.

But there are other good universities out there especially for English who could take you, but Kings do have higher entry requirements so they may not be so lenient on grades depending on what you got.

But i hope it works out well for you, good luck

Thank you so much for your swift reply and kind wishes. I'll definitely give that a try and see if my spot can be redeemed. I wish you all the best.
Original post by caramella77e

Did King's ever give you an offer of a place via UCAS?
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Did King's ever give you an offer of a place via UCAS?

Hi there! Yes, they did, which does give me a bit of hope. I still don't know what to do :frown:
Hi there! Yes, they did, which does give me a bit of hope. I still don't know what to do :frown:

Was it unconditional? You haven't explained why they rejected you.
Reply 6
Was it unconditional? You haven't explained why they rejected you.

It was conditional on the basis of meeting the A level grades and an academic reference from my previous Uni. Both of which I gave in accordance to their deadline and happily met. They did not reject me, I said that UCAS withdrew my application, not the Universities themselves. That's why I'm dumbfounded and don't know what to do, hence why I posted this to see if anyone could help- which ofc may not be possible, but who knows anything helps atp.
Reply 7

If you have met the conditions of your offer at KCL, they are obliged to take you. If you haven’t, they don’t. You appeal to them should be based on that, and if their are any mitigation circumstances regarding why you did not achieve them.
Reply 8
Original post by lalexm
If you have met the conditions of your offer at KCL, they are obliged to take you. If you haven’t, they don’t. You appeal to them should be based on that, and if their are any mitigation circumstances regarding why you did not achieve them.

Thank you very much for your reply. I'll do that, I guess it's as simple as that now. Hopefully it all works out, it's still very unfair that UCAS did that. Let's see how it goes. Best wishes :smile:
It was conditional on the basis of meeting the A level grades and an academic reference from my previous Uni. Both of which I gave in accordance to their deadline and happily met. They did not reject me, I said that UCAS withdrew my application, not the Universities themselves. That's why I'm dumbfounded and don't know what to do, hence why I posted this to see if anyone could help- which ofc may not be possible, but who knows anything helps atp.

That is indeed very strange. You need advice from someone like @PQ or @Admit-One.
Reply 10
That is indeed very strange. You need advice from someone like @PQ or @Admit-One.

Thank you very much it means the most that you've still considered to help. I'll try and get in touch with them and see if anything can be done. Hopefully something works out in the end! All the best and take care :smile:

Did UCAS withdraw you for not declaring the previous (incomplete) study?
Reply 12
Original post by Admit-One
Did UCAS withdraw you for not declaring the previous (incomplete) study?

Hi there! For context, yes, I declared previous/incomplete studies, and all other relevant information and documents. It is genuinely a matter of UCAS informing me via email that they withdrew my application, they then said if I want to appeal, I have the option to? So weird! It's really unfair and bizarre. I'll try and get in touch with them on the phone but I bet they'll say the same thing as what's said in the email "you're application has been withdrawn", I did pop a message to KCL admissions and explained the situation, but as of now, I do feel quite hopeless :frown:
(edited 8 months ago)
Hi there! For context, yes, I declared previous/incomplete studies, and all other relevant information and documents. It is genuinely a matter of UCAS informing me via email that they withdrew my application, they then said if I want to appeal, I have the option to? So weird! It's really unfair and bizarre. I'll try and get in touch with them on the phone but I bet they'll say the same thing as what's said in the email "you're application has been withdrawn", I did pop a message to KCL admissions and explained the situation, but as of now, I do feel quite hopeless :frown:

How strange.

Without them telling you the nature of the withdrawal I’m not sure what how they expect you to appeal it. I can only suggest getting in touch with them to find out more details about what you’ve supposedly done/not done.
Reply 14
Original post by Admit-One
How strange.

Without them telling you the nature of the withdrawal I’m not sure what how they expect you to appeal it. I can only suggest getting in touch with them to find out more details about what you’ve supposedly done/not done.

Yes! without a doubt, it's really unfair to say the least and for them to just blatantly state that I can't do anything besides appeal is ridiculous. I'll try and get in touch with them next week as I won't let this sweep under the carpet. Thank you for your patience!
Yes! without a doubt, it's really unfair to say the least and for them to just blatantly state that I can't do anything besides appeal is ridiculous. I'll try and get in touch with them next week as I won't let this sweep under the carpet. Thank you for your patience!

No problem. Feel free to post any updates if you are comfortable sharing whatever they come back with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending