The Student Room Group

Spanish speaking questions; are there really 53 paragraphs you need to learn?

I have my speaking exam soon, and I'm trying to go through all the paragraphs. I realise there are over 53 on my masterdoc, some I need to add. Does anyone else have this many paragraphs? Is this normal? I'm memorising each paragraph by saying it out loud until it sticks
(edited 1 year ago)
You really don't have to memorise that many paragraphs??? Just memorise a few phrases or something.
Original post by Anatida
I have my speaking exam soon, and I'm trying to go through all the paragraphs. I realise there are over 53 on my masterdoc, some I need to add. Does anyone else have this many paragraphs? Is this normal? I'm memorising each paragraph by saying it out loud until it sticks

Sorry, I don't want to give the wrong info, but what Spanish speaking are you preparing for? Is it A-Level or GCSEs, and what exam board?
Reply 3
I've noticed that some questions for the paragraphs are very similar, so you can learn a few sentences for any questions asked for these. e.g on where you went last year, and adapt it whether you're talking about a classtrip or a holiday, or a festival
Reply 4
Original post by rysua
I've noticed that some questions for the paragraphs are very similar, so you can learn a few sentences for any questions asked for these. e.g on where you went last year, and adapt it whether you're talking about a classtrip or a holiday, or a festival

That's some good advice! Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by MlightOr
Sorry, I don't want to give the wrong info, but what Spanish speaking are you preparing for? Is it A-Level or GCSEs, and what exam board?

This is AQA GCSE Spanish. I've looked online but I can't find any examples of the exam or anything. The mark scheme for speaking doesn't seem to say anything about this, unless I've looked at the wrong thing
Reply 6
Original post by GeT_iN_SHinJI
You really don't have to memorise that many paragraphs??? Just memorise a few phrases or something.

Has this worked for you? I suppose this must be the intended way of doing the exam, but we were just told to memorise the whole doc
Original post by Anatida
Has this worked for you? I suppose this must be the intended way of doing the exam, but we were just told to memorise the whole doc

I mean I did get a 9 so I guess it worked.
Original post by Anatida
This is AQA GCSE Spanish. I've looked online but I can't find any examples of the exam or anything. The mark scheme for speaking doesn't seem to say anything about this, unless I've looked at the wrong thing

Oh, I did AQA GCSE speaking as well. Your teacher should have given you some common questions that will come up, based on the themes. I had to learn about 15 paragraphs for each of the questions my teacher gave me. At least, that's what happened at my school.
If your teacher didn't do it then it's best to learn some phrases from each of your themes, so you can talk about each if the question arises. Then just throw in some opinions or something.
(edited 1 year ago)
That seems like a lot of paragraphs. I did AQA spanish GCSE (early) last year, and I got 57/60 on speaking without memorising anything - I just talked to the teacher in spanish, but I'm doing german this year and I am meant to be memorising paragraphs for that. We have 6 questions for each theme, in my class, so that's 18 total. We also made a list of all the questions we had answers to and gave it to the teacher; could you pick your best answers for each theme and ask your teacher if they'd take a list of them and only ask you some of those in the exam?
Reply 10
Original post by eagleflight
That seems like a lot of paragraphs. I did AQA spanish GCSE (early) last year, and I got 57/60 on speaking without memorising anything - I just talked to the teacher in spanish, but I'm doing german this year and I am meant to be memorising paragraphs for that. We have 6 questions for each theme, in my class, so that's 18 total. We also made a list of all the questions we had answers to and gave it to the teacher; could you pick your best answers for each theme and ask your teacher if they'd take a list of them and only ask you some of those in the exam?

Thanks. I did memorise my selected theme but improvised the whole exam anyway :smile: so yeah I would still say one should learn good paragraphs from your selected theme since that is achievable, but any themes beyond that is just impossible. For future reference learning key phrases for the other themes is the way to go.

Quick Reply

Latest