The Student Room Group

Subject selection error

so I'm starting a levels and i initially planned on studying bio, psychology, sociology and computer science. I want to do forensic sciences and become clinical forensic psychologist. I want to know if these subjects are right. I'm particularly interested in these subjects.
Original post by ft.mahaaa
so I'm starting a levels and i initially planned on studying bio, psychology, sociology and computer science. I want to do forensic sciences and become clinical forensic psychologist. I want to know if these subjects are right. I'm particularly interested in these subjects.

According to both the British Psychological Society (BPS) and the Heath & Care Professions Council (HCPC) - which all practicing Psychologists in the UK are required to register with - there is no such thing as a "clinical forensic psychologist". There is Clinical Psychologist. There is Forensic Psychologist. And others, of course.

See here for the BPS list of "Career options in psychology". See here (specifically the "Practitioner psychologist" section) for the list of HCPC legally protected job titles.

Regardless, those A level options are fine (although there is no need for four). :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
According to both the British Psychological Society (BPS) and the Heath & Care Professions Council (HCPC) - which all practicing Psychologists in the UK are required to register with - there is no such thing as a "clinical forensic psychologist". There is Clinical Psychologist. There is Forensic Psychologist. And others, of course.

See here for the BPS list of "Career options in psychology". See here (specifically the "Practitioner psychologist" section) for the list of HCPC legally protected job titles.

Regardless, those A level options are fine (although there is no need for four). :smile:

1. I meant forensic psychologist
2. Why is there no need of four subjects and what subjects do you recommend for it?
99% of courses only consider your top 3 grades. No point potentially harming the other subjects by completing a fourth for no benefit.

Eg. A*AA is a better result than AAAA from an admissions standpoint.
1. I meant forensic psychologist
2. Why is there no need of four subjects and what subjects do you recommend for it?

Pick a university, any university, and check their entry requirements for Psychology. You won't find any which require four A levels - even those most competitive universities in the country will only ask for three.

In terms of subjects, Psychology obviously makes sense to take - but no university will require it as not all schools/colleges provide it.

A Psychology degree will contain a certain amount of Maths (especially statistics) and Biology, so you'll often see universities expressing a preference for one or the other of those. More normally, they'll say they want at least one science subject (and they include Maths and Psychology as science subjects).

Some will also say they'd like to see you having taken an essay-based subject (as Psychology can be essay-heavy). That would be covered by your Psychology and Sociology choices.

There will be a certain amount of data manipulation within the statistics part of a Psychology degree, and that includes some coding, so your Computer Science may help with that - although don't ever recall having see it on a list of preferred subjects.
I would’ve taken Maths to keep more options open as well, but I think OP is looking at forensic science at undergrad rather than pure psychology.
Reply 6
Thank you so much!! so my subject choices are alright? Bio as a science subject, socio as essay-based, and psychology. I wanted to study computer science on the basis of my interests though.
Thank you so much!! so my subject choices are alright? Bio as a science subject, socio as essay-based, and psychology. I wanted to study computer science on the basis of my interests though.

They are. That's why I said "those A level options are fine" earlier. :smile:

Understood re the Computer Science.
Original post by Admit-One
I would’ve taken Maths to keep more options open as well, but I think OP is looking at forensic science at undergrad rather than pure psychology.

Perhaps, but so far they've said they want to "become clinical forensic psychologist" and then they've said "forensic psychologist".

OP, can you confirm? Forensic Science or Forensic Psychologist?
and become clinical forensic psychologist.

Then you will need a Psychology degree - see https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/clinical-psychologist

Heya!
I would recommend first looking into the profession itself and kind of working backwards to find out what you need for it :smile: Try using prospects (for career if it is there) and uniguide for courses. I did forensic science and needed 2 sciences for my entry, so double check the courses and whether you needed 1 or 2 sciences :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 11
I do bio, psych and sociology and that it was I want to do. wow! I'm in year 13 now and I would definitely recommend doing psychology, obviously. Biology is definitely a plus point as most universities require at least one science (including psychology) but preferably two, the only thing I would say about biology is to prepare yourself for the mark schemes. Sociology is a good choice, particularly given that there is a crime and deviance section also biology and psychology are very content heavy subjects and so having sociology as a subject with less content is very good. However I would say that doing 4 is not the best use of time, I did do 4 at the start of year 12 and dropped the fourth. The only thing I regret is not doing an AS level, lots of universities see maths as an advantage point and so maybe doing core maths, if your sixth form/ college offers it, would be a good idea! Overall all three subjects are very applicable to our chosen field in psychology and there is also a lot of overlap in the three subjects: for example psychology and sociology overlap in terms of research methods.

Quick Reply

Latest