The Student Room Group

No motivation, no offers

All my life I've been a dedicated student trying to get the best grades. I achieved 15 grade 9s at GCSE and am predicted 4 A*s at A Level, I'm a law applicant and did well on my LNAT (scored a bit lower on the day than in my practice but still got a good score for top universities)
I was got an Oxford interview but the interviewer made me feel really uncomfortable, they took an immediate dislike to me and were shouting (made me cry. )
I was rejected in January (expectedly) and received a rejection from UCL with no reason a few months later.
My personal statement was read my many law students and they said it was a really high quality personal statement so I'm sure that's not the reason either.
Now it's April and I don't have a single offer, exams are in a month and I don't feel like revising. I just think to myself, what's it all for when your efforts get discarded without a bloody reason. I can't see myself in the next few months, I just feel so drained like I've worked so hard for nothing.
I wonder if anyone else can relate, a bit lost rn and could do with some support x

Scroll to see replies

If you are ambitious you keep going, it’s easy to be motivated when things go well but grit, determination & work ethic show when the chips are down.

Keep going, focus on achieving everything you can this year, if you still want the llb from the universities that said no then if you apply with grades in hand you’ll be in a stronger position. You also need to not focus on your strengths but be honest about your applications weaker spots (relative to the successful applicants at your unis your interested in, not the average student).

Law at top universities is competitive, you have to take risks but don’t get downhearted by rejection, you have to use this as further motivation for future achievement. The examples of highly successful individuals are littered with prior short comings and a continuous drive to achieve there goals.
Im sorry to years that... Keep in mind that Oxford and UCL reject the most applicants, so dont feel bad about yourself.
How about the other 3 unis, did you receive decisions on those yet? Even if they come out negative, theres always the option of trying again the year after. I did that and it worked for me. (Going to college is not a must either)
So theres a couple different options, but for the moment, try not to despair
Original post by joonigigi
All my life I've been a dedicated student trying to get the best grades. I achieved 15 grade 9s at GCSE and am predicted 4 A*s at A Level, I'm a law applicant and did well on my LNAT (scored a bit lower on the day than in my practice but still got a good score for top universities)
I was got an Oxford interview but the interviewer made me feel really uncomfortable, they took an immediate dislike to me and were shouting (made me cry. )
I was rejected in January (expectedly) and received a rejection from UCL with no reason a few months later.
My personal statement was read my many law students and they said it was a really high quality personal statement so I'm sure that's not the reason either.
Now it's April and I don't have a single offer, exams are in a month and I don't feel like revising. I just think to myself, what's it all for when your efforts get discarded without a bloody reason. I can't see myself in the next few months, I just feel so drained like I've worked so hard for nothing.
I wonder if anyone else can relate, a bit lost rn and could do with some support x

Wait why didn't you apply to some safer choices? I mean UCL and Oxford are like the most extreme universities you could've went to. Tbh I'm in a similar situation though, also trying to do LLB and got rejected from UCL/KCL despite mostly 9s/8s and 3 A*s predictions. I think I'm going to just try and do decent in my A-levels so I can hopefully meet the offer I have even though I've had no motivation to revise this Easter due to a lack of desired offers like you. Don't stress it, you're clearly really smart.
Reply 4
Original post by toxicgamage56
Wait why didn't you apply to some safer choices? I mean UCL and Oxford are like the most extreme universities you could've went to. Tbh I'm in a similar situation though, also trying to do LLB and got rejected from UCL/KCL despite mostly 9s/8s and 3 A*s predictions. I think I'm going to just try and do decent in my A-levels so I can hopefully meet the offer I have even though I've had no motivation to revise this Easter due to a lack of desired offers like you. Don't stress it, you're clearly really smart.

Haven't heard back from the other 3 so ig there's hope but it's just the worry of what if I don't get those (LSE,durham,warwick) I think if maybe I had one at this stage it'd be better for me but now I'm just waiting checking my email everyday being super stressed and none of those are really safe options so I'm pretty worried.
Reply 5
Original post by bernd.ab
Im sorry to years that... Keep in mind that Oxford and UCL reject the most applicants, so dont feel bad about yourself.
How about the other 3 unis, did you receive decisions on those yet? Even if they come out negative, theres always the option of trying again the year after. I did that and it worked for me. (Going to college is not a must either)
So theres a couple different options, but for the moment, try not to despair

Yeah I've been thinking of applying next year again if the other 3 don't work out (haven't heard back from them yet but people have been telling me they reject in bulk towards the end of April/May so I'm getting worried)
I would be fine with doing that but parents really pushing me to go this year, they don't want me "wasting" a year as they say.
Haven't heard back from the other 3 so ig there's hope but it's just the worry of what if I don't get those (LSE,durham,warwick) I think if maybe I had one at this stage it'd be better for me but now I'm just waiting checking my email everyday being super stressed and none of those are really safe options so I'm pretty worried.

Yeah they aren't exactly safe options :unsure: but I see where you're coming from with your good grades - it makes sense to apply there. I think Warwick has a good chance of getting back to you because I actually just got my offer like 2 days ago, and obviously my portfolio isn't as strong as yours. Durham has a good chance of getting back to you (contingent on your LNAT whatever that is). LSE hasn't replied to me either but tbh after UCL/KCL rejection, I see no reason why they'd take me so I'm stuck between choosing either QMUL or Warwick. You could easily take a gap year if you do great in your A-levels you know? I don't have that option since I am trash at my A-levels so it's a one chance sorta thing.
Reply 7
Original post by mnot
If you are ambitious you keep going, it’s easy to be motivated when things go well but grit, determination & work ethic show when the chips are down.

Keep going, focus on achieving everything you can this year, if you still want the llb from the universities that said no then if you apply with grades in hand you’ll be in a stronger position. You also need to not focus on your strengths but be honest about your applications weaker spots (relative to the successful applicants at your unis your interested in, not the average student).

Law at top universities is competitive, you have to take risks but don’t get downhearted by rejection, you have to use this as further motivation for future achievement. The examples of highly successful individuals are littered with prior short comings and a continuous drive to achieve there goals.

Thank you for the advice :smile:
I just wish they gave reasons with their rejections so I could reflect on them, I might request them for reflection but for UCL most got a reason attached so it's a bit upsetting being rejected without knowing why. When I got rejected from Oxford I tried to keep an optimistic view but its been a few months with no offers so I'm now in a worse place ig

Hey,

Just wanted to say that I was in a similar situation when applying for unis back in 2018. I also had a brutal interview at Oxford where I was spoken to really aggressively and everything I said seemed to have rubbed them the wrong way. I ended up last-minute applying for adjustment for a different degree which I didn't have the confidence to apply for during the first round. I loved my undergrad at KCL and I'm now doing a master's at Cambridge. I'm so glad I didn't make the cut for Oxford for undergrad, it's such an unnecessarily gruelling process to go through when there are other ways to succeed without it taking such a toll on your mental health. I completely sympathise with not being motivated to study after such a big blow. I hope you make it through in the end and try not to judge yourself too harshly - a lot of us are under an enormous amount of pressure and by the time you're working, you wonder whether all of the agonising was worth it. You really can make something of yourself by taking other routes than Oxbridge and UCL, and I sincerely hope that you find the route which suits you. Best of luck.
Reply 9
Yeah they aren't exactly safe options :unsure: but I see where you're coming from with your good grades - it makes sense to apply there. I think Warwick has a good chance of getting back to you because I actually just got my offer like 2 days ago, and obviously my portfolio isn't as strong as yours. Durham has a good chance of getting back to you (contingent on your LNAT whatever that is). LSE hasn't replied to me either but tbh after UCL/KCL rejection, I see no reason why they'd take me so I'm stuck between choosing either QMUL or Warwick. You could easily take a gap year if you do great in your A-levels you know? I don't have that option since I am trash at my A-levels so it's a one chance sorta thing.

Congratulations on the Warwick offer! I think LSE is just being really slow but some people have got offers already so I'm just expecting rejection because it's really competitive and they are really picky on PS and stuff. You might get an offer though, I guess we'll just have to wait and see, good luck! Gap year was what I was contemplating but my parents are really against it for some reason :frown:
Good luck with the A levels, I'm sure you'll do really great! What A levels do you take BTW?
You've got two really good options there though, good luck deciding between them :smile:
Original post by JustAnoth3rN3rd
Hey,

Just wanted to say that I was in a similar situation when applying for unis back in 2018. I also had a brutal interview at Oxford where I was spoken to really aggressively and everything I said seemed to have rubbed them the wrong way. I ended up last-minute applying for adjustment for a different degree which I didn't have the confidence to apply for during the first round. I loved my undergrad at KCL and I'm now doing a master's at Cambridge. I'm so glad I didn't make the cut for Oxford for undergrad, it's such an unnecessarily gruelling process to go through when there are other ways to succeed without it taking such a toll on your mental health. I completely sympathise with not being motivated to study after such a big blow. I hope you make it through in the end and try not to judge yourself too harshly - a lot of us are under an enormous amount of pressure and by the time you're working, you wonder whether all of the agonising was worth it. You really can make something of yourself by taking other routes than Oxbridge and UCL, and I sincerely hope that you find the route which suits you. Best of luck.

Thank you so much for replying, that sounds terrible but I'm really glad you ended up finding a route which suits you! That gives me hope and makes me feel a lot better :smile:
Congratulations on the Warwick offer! I think LSE is just being really slow but some people have got offers already so I'm just expecting rejection because it's really competitive and they are really picky on PS and stuff. You might get an offer though, I guess we'll just have to wait and see, good luck! Gap year was what I was contemplating but my parents are really against it for some reason :frown:
Good luck with the A levels, I'm sure you'll do really great! What A levels do you take BTW?
You've got two really good options there though, good luck deciding between them :smile:

Thanks! Yeah, I hate to hold onto the hope I get an offer from LSE after being rejected from UCL/KCL so I've mentally rejected LSE to save myself the suffering lmao. This may sound like weak reassurance but getting into law unis this year has been ridiculously hard for some reason, like I got 29 in my LNAT and apparently KCL needs 30+ which is unheard of given their 26 avrg offer score last year.
My parents also adopt the same stance on gap years, which is why I kinda have go uni this year but I think I can still achieve well with an RG uni, just have to put in more effort to keep up with the Oxbridge lot ig.
My A-levels are Maths, Economics, English Literature. Got ABB in mocks, need to get AAA, so I'm working on bumping up those Bs to As.

I would be fine with doing that but parents really pushing me to go this year, they don't want me "wasting" a year as they say.

A year not in education is not the same as a year being wasted, what if you used the year to get a job, save some money (use for traveling in the summer or for your first year at uni), do some volunteering work for a worthwhile cause, invest in building skills for your cv...
Thanks! Yeah, I hate to hold onto the hope I get an offer from LSE after being rejected from UCL/KCL so I've mentally rejected LSE to save myself the suffering lmao. This may sound like weak reassurance but getting into law unis this year has been ridiculously hard for some reason, like I got 29 in my LNAT and apparently KCL needs 30+ which is unheard of given their 26 avrg offer score last year.
My parents also adopt the same stance on gap years, which is why I kinda have go uni this year but I think I can still achieve well with an RG uni, just have to put in more effort to keep up with the Oxbridge lot ig.
My A-levels are Maths, Economics, English Literature. Got ABB in mocks, need to get AAA, so I'm working on bumping up those Bs to As.

Yeah this year the LNAT is so ridiculous, I also think the test is inherently unfair since everyone gets different questions for the multiple choice and essays so it's also really luck based. Lse doesn't even look at the essay (which I was proud of my answer for) so I'm just going to wait and see ig. RG unis are still super amazing any offers from them are super great
I do English Lit, History, Maths and politics :smile: Maths is just there because I liked it at GCSE but I hate it now so I'm trying to motivate myself to revise but I'm so crap at mechanics this year so I really don't want to 😭😭
Good luck with the A levels! I'm sure you can do it 😁😁
Original post by mnot
A year not in education is not the same as a year being wasted, what if you used the year to get a job, save some money (use for traveling in the summer or for your first year at uni), do some volunteering work for a worthwhile cause, invest in building skills for your cv...

I tried to tell them that but they're just not really keen on it at all. I'm an active volunteer so would have happily done that for the year/ gotten a job but don't really want to disappoint them
Yeah this year the LNAT is so ridiculous, I also think the test is inherently unfair since everyone gets different questions for the multiple choice and essays so it's also really luck based. Lse doesn't even look at the essay (which I was proud of my answer for) so I'm just going to wait and see ig. RG unis are still super amazing any offers from them are super great
I do English Lit, History, Maths and politics :smile: Maths is just there because I liked it at GCSE but I hate it now so I'm trying to motivate myself to revise but I'm so crap at mechanics this year so I really don't want to 😭😭
Good luck with the A levels! I'm sure you can do it 😁😁

Yeah I had the same doubts with the LNAT since some tests are ridiculously hard compared to others. Yeah RG is good nevertheless so nothing to be down about.
English Lit wouldn't be half bad if I wasn't doing some random exam board - like OCR out of all of them. I agree with you on the mechanics. I signed up for pure maths, not for the applied maths add-on lol.
Thanks, I know I have the potential so I'll try my best!
I tried to tell them that but they're just not really keen on it at all. I'm an active volunteer so would have happily done that for the year/ gotten a job but don't really want to disappoint them

You also need to be the driver of your life, you will be 18 and at university they’d expect you to be making these decisions whichever way you go…
Original post by mnot
You also need to be the driver of your life, you will be 18 and at university they’d expect you to be making these decisions whichever way you go…

Yeah I know, its just kinda complicated with some families sadly
Yeah I had the same doubts with the LNAT since some tests are ridiculously hard compared to others. Yeah RG is good nevertheless so nothing to be down about.
English Lit wouldn't be half bad if I wasn't doing some random exam board - like OCR out of all of them. I agree with you on the mechanics. I signed up for pure maths, not for the applied maths add-on lol.
Thanks, I know I have the potential so I'll try my best!

I do OCR for history and maths, English and politics are edexcel, I've never really seen people do ocr English that does seem really random.
English is like the only subject I'm happy with rn the others are such stress, though English and history coursework was horrible in itself but I'm so glad that's over now.
Exactly! Why does the applied even exist no one likes it!!!!
Good luck again xx
I do OCR for history and maths, English and politics are edexcel, I've never really seen people do ocr English that does seem really random.
English is like the only subject I'm happy with rn the others are such stress, though English and history coursework was horrible in itself but I'm so glad that's over now.
Exactly! Why does the applied even exist no one likes it!!!!
Good luck again xx

Yeah thank god coursework is over, hopefully that'll help weigh my grade upwards. Thanks, and good luck to you too, tell me when you get 4 A*s :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending