The Student Room Group

Music GCSE - Take in Y9 or 10

Has anyone taken or is anyone planning to sit for MUSIC GCSE earlier at Y10 or 9 ( next year or a year later) ? I'm considering so to add one more subject to my GCSE. I'm already learning grade 5 theory and learning grade 6 pieces after I passed piano grade 5.
My school offers music GCSE, and they sho7od accommodate early GCSE. If not l, I will sit privately at other school.
You could do it earlier, but performance and knowing music theory aren't the only 2 things you need. You also need to:

- Compose 2 pieces (at least in my exam board).
- Learn case studies from several pieces.

While this generally isn't too difficult, it takes time. It would make a lot more sense just to take Music for a GCSE in Year 11, as colleges don't really care when you took your GCSEs, but more what you got in them.
Reply 2
Original post by tastierspoon460
You could do it earlier, but performance and knowing music theory aren't the only 2 things you need. You also need to:

- Compose 2 pieces (at least in my exam board).
- Learn case studies from several pieces.

While this generally isn't too difficult, it takes time. It would make a lot more sense just to take Music for a GCSE in Year 11, as colleges don't really care when you took your GCSEs, but more what you got in them.

Thank you. What I wanted to achieve is more than 10 GCSE at top grades. Thus, I thought something like Music which I have been partly learning from Piano can be taken 1 year or so in advance to reduce concentration on y 11. RE is taken a tear in advance at school, and one MFL 2 year in advance..
You might not have learned all the content for RE or MFL yet (unless you're a fluent speaker). Think about it and whether your school allows it. You seem to be in Y8, I think? So there isn't much worry for you yet.

Quick Reply

Latest