The Student Room Group

choosing gcses (year 9)

So, I've got three definite ones:
Art, Psychology, and French.
BUT, I still need one more (at my skl we need 4)
I'm deciding between History and Music, but I literally have no clue
What did u guys choose lol
Reply 1
Original post by whidoilikestudi

Look at your past grades between those 2 subjects. Whichever you did better on, go for that if you are unable to decide. I must tell you that history is quite difficult as you have to remember a lot of stuff

I hope this helps!

im in y9 too, choosing between history and geo and tbf im probably going w history because its more interesting to me, also you learn essay writing which is quite nice, but choose what you enjoy and can get a high mark in
Reply 3
history is a lot of memorising things and essay writing so it might be long but if you're doing art i doubt you care about that lol, and in regards to music this might be different for you but at my school you weren't recommended to do music gcse if you couldn't play an instrument, but its your choice and just think of which lessons you like and can get high grades in, maybe have a look at the course specification too

currently in year 13, but in year 11 I did French, history and music GCSE. To be completely honest, while I did enjoy music, I don't think I would choose it again unless it is something you are SUPER passionate about - you have to do composition, performance and an exam paper, not exactly the easiest things in the world. I was super passionate about music but doing it at GCSE drained me a lot and killed my passion a little bit. Currently doing history and French at A level, found them both super interesting at GCSE and benefitted a lot from choosing them. I know this all sounds very negative, but I just want to be brutally honest to help you figure out whether music is the right choice for you.

My school has a cap at 9 due to timetable constraints. I’ve decided i’m taking CS, Economics and most likely DT. good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest