The Student Room Group

UK MSci degree for Europe PhD position

Hello, I am a 4th year MSci student in a UK uni. I am currently looking for PhD opportunities, mainly in continental Europe, but I found that most European universities don't consider the MSci (integrated masters) degree as a "Master of Science", rather a "Master in Science". What this means is that I am 30 ECTS credits short for the universities to consider my degree as a BSc + MSc, which is what they require for a PhD. I have known this for a while, but I was repeatedly reassured by professors that they were considered the same and that I'd have no problem applying. However, now that I am in the process of looking for positions, this has posed a massive problem and I am afraid I will not be able to apply to any position in Europe at all. I have read in some forums that on a case to case basis there may be exceptions, but I haven't found mention of integrated masters in any way on any institution's page. Has anyone experienced something similar? Is there any solution? Are there any known expceptions? Thanks.
Original post by Rekisde
Hello, I am a 4th year MSci student in a UK uni. I am currently looking for PhD opportunities, mainly in continental Europe, but I found that most European universities don't consider the MSci (integrated masters) degree as a "Master of Science", rather a "Master in Science". What this means is that I am 30 ECTS credits short for the universities to consider my degree as a BSc + MSc, which is what they require for a PhD. I have known this for a while, but I was repeatedly reassured by professors that they were considered the same and that I'd have no problem applying. However, now that I am in the process of looking for positions, this has posed a massive problem and I am afraid I will not be able to apply to any position in Europe at all. I have read in some forums that on a case to case basis there may be exceptions, but I haven't found mention of integrated masters in any way on any institution's page. Has anyone experienced something similar? Is there any solution? Are there any known expceptions? Thanks.

It’s true an integrated masters is 4 years of 120 credits (or 60 ects) whereas a bachelors plus masters is 120 x 3 plus 180 for the masters.

this isn’t an issue ive ever heard of before, I would assume if you applied as a masters graduate they would accept you as a masters level candidate. Ive seen plenty of people with integrated degrees go onto PhDs so im surprised this issue has been raised.

I would go discuss this with someone in your university who has also worked in research at a European university. Perhaps you could consider a summer research internship to compensate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending