The Student Room Group

Glasgow, York or Durham

I recently got an alternative offer for sociology at Durham ( I originally applied for History, Politics and Sociology combined honours) for AAB at A level. I’ve been rejected by St Andrews and Oxford ( I’m too cool for them anyway.) I also have offers for History/ Politics at York (AAA or AAB with an A in EPQ) and Glasgow also AAB. I like the course at York (the inclusion of public history) but I much prefer Glasgow’s campus and city etc. but I am concerned I won’t fit in as a Southerner. Durham has also sort of been my dream uni since my rejections so while I did not apply for just sociology I do have a genuine interest in the course and love the collegiate style of uni. My main concern with studying sociology is that it’s not really respected on its own and I do have quite a strong interest in History. I don’t have many concerns over the similarities in offers as I am predicted A*A*A so I’m fairly confident I should meet these offers. Any advice or insights on the courses and universities would be appreciated. :smile:
Look carefully at the course content for all years of each course - which optional units would you actually choose if you went there. What extras are on offer - work placements, study abroad etc - these add heaps to your graduate CV.

Remember that its the course you study every day - not the brand name of the Uni. And 'collegiate' or whatever will not make any difference if you are not enjoying what you are studying - it'll just be a miserable 3 years.
The unis are very different. I guess Durham is closest to Oxbridge with its colleges. Sociology is a great degree to study - you could secure a role in government on the policy-making side so don't disrespect sociology. I guess what I am recommending is Durham over the other two.
As McGinger says, the module content of each course should be the most important thing to consider.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending