The Student Room Group

What do i do now. 8 weeks till Bio and Chem A level

Hi,

Time is flying. I have 8 weeks, less than 50 days till my A levels in bio and chem. I do a lot of past papers and questions and I still seem to be getting just about C in both subjects. I need and want an A. For chemistry an A is 80 marks, I tend to get 50. For bio, an A is 65, and I tend to get 45. What can i do? Please I need real advice. That will genuinely boost my grades. Please help me
Original post by vesq
Hi,

Time is flying. I have 8 weeks, less than 50 days till my A levels in bio and chem. I do a lot of past papers and questions and I still seem to be getting just about C in both subjects. I need and want an A. For chemistry an A is 80 marks, I tend to get 50. For bio, an A is 65, and I tend to get 45. What can i do? Please I need real advice. That will genuinely boost my grades. Please help me

Heya!
When you do past papers, I would recommend doing them under \exam conditions' and then going through the mark scheme thoroughly :h: Identify WHY you are losing the marks and how you can improve your answers. You could also make flashcards out of the questions you didn't score well in! If it helps, Study Mind has lots of free resources from revision notes to past papers + mark schemes.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 2
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
When you do past papers, I would recommend doing them under \exam conditions' and then going through the mark scheme thoroughly :h: Identify WHY you are losing the marks and how you can improve your answers. You could also make flashcards out of the questions you didn't score well in! If it helps, Study Mind has lots of free resources from revision notes to past papers + mark schemes.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Thanks. But i have noticed that the study mind questions are exactly the same to pmt
Reply 3
Original post by vesq
Thanks. But i have noticed that the study mind questions are exactly the same to pmt

boost
Practise questions
like said above identifying why youre getting them wrong is important, is it a lapse of knowledge? do you need to re-review that topic? is it a misunderstanding of a questions? where did this misinterpretation come from? if you cant find that out ask your teacher.

Review content we all have those topics we suck at but we just have to work on them even harder and more
do recall, blurting is a good method
No brainer really....

You're stuck at a C because you're simply not improving. The reasons you aren't improving is because you lack the knowledge. No point just going through all these papers and thinking that your grades will magically increase, work on your weak points.
Reply 6
Thanks, guys, I know the real reason why i am not improving is that i don't know the content well, especially for biology. The reason why i feel like i should not go over the content is that time is running out and ive heard that i should do as many past papers and learn the content through that, as questions repeat. Can you guys give me some advice on how i can learn content quickly and make it stick, as well as do past papers
Original post by vesq
Thanks, guys, I know the real reason why i am not improving is that i don't know the content well, especially for biology. The reason why i feel like i should not go over the content is that time is running out and ive heard that i should do as many past papers and learn the content through that, as questions repeat. Can you guys give me some advice on how i can learn content quickly and make it stick, as well as do past papers

Sorry but that just sounds very bizarre..

How are you feasibly going to learn content just from looking at and memorising mark schemes? It makes sense to only do this after you have covered the content
Reply 8
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Sorry but that just sounds very bizarre..

How are you feasibly going to learn content just from looking at and memorising mark schemes? It makes sense to only do this after you have covered the content

You're right. I was living in my own world. Any advice on how i can learn content with minimum time and have time to do past papers
Original post by vesq
You're right. I was living in my own world. Any advice on how i can learn content with minimum time and have time to do past papers

yh youve gone through all those past papers, look at all the questions you got wrong, identify why if its a lapse of knowledge note down the topic.

go over the content in ways you can remember, learning isn't this magical pill you can take u have to figure out what works for you yourself. try noting down key point in the topic then coming a day or two later write on a piece of paper what you remeber and mark it against your notes
I second what @bigplongus said
Original post by vesq
...ive heard that i should do as many past papers and learn the content through that, as questions repeat...

if anyone is looking back on this thread and was told this, its a lie, know the content then do past paper questions
Reply 12
Original post by bigplongus
yh youve gone through all those past papers, look at all the questions you got wrong, identify why if its a lapse of knowledge note down the topic.

go over the content in ways you can remember, learning isn't this magical pill you can take u have to figure out what works for you yourself. try noting down key point in the topic then coming a day or two later write on a piece of paper what you remeber and mark it against your notes

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest