The Student Room Group

Commuting to Oxford University for Masters

Hey guys, I have applied for Masters, however, I had the plan I would commute to whichever university I go to for my masters due to my dissabilities and really disliking living away at undergraduate because of these disabilities. I never expected to get into Oxford University and more applied just on a whim.
However, I have gotten in, and do not know what to do now because of the 25 mile radius rule Oxford has. I feel like, as I live near Coventry, I won't be allowed to commute if I go to Oxford, but also don't know if I can turn Oxford down with it being Oxford.
If I do commute it'll be around 2 hours one way so 4 hours total, and it was said I'd be in person for about 3 days per week. I feel like I'd be fine with that and don't mind the commute. However, with the radius rule I do not know if the university would allow me to commute.
They won't allow you to do that. Nor do you want them to. 4 hours total travelling a day, three days a week? Absolute killer.

I used to commute to my sixth form for some insane reason, it was also about a 2 hour commute each way and I struggled a lot because of it. I was tired all the time and I didn't have as much time to do my work as everyone else as, unlike what you might be inclined to think, working on a train/bus is not viable at all. I don't know what your disability may be but I'm going to assume it would only serve to exacerbate these problems. I only just about pulled it off, I doubt I could have pulled it off with something more intense such as a degree or a masters.

You say you lived on your own during your degree. You didn't really like it but you might have a better experience at Oxford. I don't study there but I frequent the place and everything's pretty close together in Oxford so it's very convenient and the people are quite friendly. Plus, it's only two hours away from home when you need it?

Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending