The Student Room Group

Is it possible to still study Economics at Uni?

I am in year 12 and I currently study Economics, Psychology and Business with an EPQ. I have also been offered to take an AS in math's which I would prefer to sit next year alongside all my other A Levels.
I would like to have advice on my next steps. On results day, I realised that I did not achieve the expected grades I wanted to get, specifically for math's since I got a 4 so I couldn't do A levels math's, I was lucky enough to do economics and I enjoy the subject so much! I was lucky enough to to be offered to take an AS in math's by this further math's teacher who saw that I could actually do the math's that her class was doing and getting them correct, despite the fact I got a C at GCSE. So back to the point I think I want to do Law at Uni but I am also really interested in Economics and I realised how well those two fit together. I was even thinking about doing a conversion course from Economics to Law. The only problem I have is my gcse math's grade and the fact I don't do math's. Most Russell Group Unis (Which I would like to go to) Require people to have studies math's at A level and with a 6 In math's. I don't have any of that and I really don't know what to do. I am currently predicted an A by my economics teacher but I don't think this would be enough to study it at uni, do you have any advice?
(My apologies for the huge paragraph!)
Original post by Uhhcallmerae
I am in year 12 and I currently study Economics, Psychology and Business with an EPQ. I have also been offered to take an AS in math's which I would prefer to sit next year alongside all my other A Levels.
I would like to have advice on my next steps. On results day, I realised that I did not achieve the expected grades I wanted to get, specifically for math's since I got a 4 so I couldn't do A levels math's, I was lucky enough to do economics and I enjoy the subject so much! I was lucky enough to to be offered to take an AS in math's by this further math's teacher who saw that I could actually do the math's that her class was doing and getting them correct, despite the fact I got a C at GCSE. So back to the point I think I want to do Law at Uni but I am also really interested in Economics and I realised how well those two fit together. I was even thinking about doing a conversion course from Economics to Law. The only problem I have is my gcse math's grade and the fact I don't do math's. Most Russell Group Unis (Which I would like to go to) Require people to have studies math's at A level and with a 6 In math's. I don't have any of that and I really don't know what to do. I am currently predicted an A by my economics teacher but I don't think this would be enough to study it at uni, do you have any advice?

Some universities have it so if you don’t take maths at A-Level, they will look at your GCSE Maths grade.
A in any subject is great at A-Level, but it’s not just academics, they look at what you do outside of school as well.

Instead of doing a conversion course, have you ever thought about doing a combined honours course and doing something in corporate law - that can be an option.

I would recommend you do A-Level maths or AS (as both are higher level than GCSE). You can inquire with each prospective uni, if they’ll accept an AS grade in maths over a GCSE one.
Original post by Uhhcallmerae

I got into Edinburgh Glasgow and St Andrews for economics with a 4 in national 5 maths which is Scotland’s version of GCSE

Quick Reply

Latest