London

FAQ: Ask A Current Student!

Scroll to see replies

///
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
61 Highway Revisited
The biggest appeal of QM, for me, is the fact it's in London, the only really good city in the country for anything particularly niche. My biggest (only, really) concern about going there is whether it's affordable to live in London, realistically? After accommodation and essentials, how much money do you have spare? I've heard everything from it being perfectly affordable, to people having next to nothing left spare.

Depends how sensible you are. On average I spend about £180 per week, including my rent. £96 per week on rent roughly, you can get better accommodation for more or worse/further out for less. My student loans are used to cover my accommodation and I use money from my parents/work/savings to pay for the rest.

You get more loan, which helps.
What is the policy on smoking on campus? i've heard things about it being completely smoke free?
oliverwbarnes
What is the policy on smoking on campus? i've heard things about it being completely smoke free?

tbh there are signs plastered all around, but obv. noone will bother to walk out of the campus to smoke in front of the gate. saying that, there are wardens who remind you not to smoke occasionally. most people smoke outside their houses, though, as smoking indoors is not only forbidden, but also risky (can activate smoke detectors and fire alarms in result)
Reply 384
I sent my application for Q Mary more then 3 months ago; someone told me that if I haven't heard from them yet then they'll more than likely make me an offer...because usually if they reject candidate, they reject her/him in the first month after she/he sends her/his application. Is this true? It's been 3 months and 4 days since I submitted my application. I applied for politics, undergraduate.
Reply 385
kelpic
I sent my application for Q Mary more then 3 months ago; someone told me that if I haven't heard from them yet then they'll more than likely make me an offer...because usually if they reject candidate, they reject her/him in the first month after she/he sends her/his application. Is this true? It's been 3 months and 4 days since I submitted my application. I applied for politics, undergraduate.

I'd get in touch with them, 3 months is a long time.
Reply 386
I got a conditional offer from Q Mary and it says 'This offer is subject to you obtaining:Pass at IELTS with overall band score of at least 7' So they want me to go and get a IELTS? But I already have a Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English(CAE); I thought that was a good enough susbstitue for IELTS or TOEFL. Do you think they might have missed the parts i my personal statement and my reference letter where it says that I have CAE?
Reply 387
I've heard some people find it quite hard to settle into QM? Is this because of the uni and the people that go there or were these people just very unsociable?
coleyjane
I've heard some people find it quite hard to settle into QM? Is this because of the uni and the people that go there or were these people just very unsociable?

It depends on the individual. If you go expecting to just "make friends" then you won't. You still have to put effort in. Depending on your course and flat too. Bad flatmates can make for an unpleasant experience but there are ways of overcoming it. But these things are true of all universities.
Reply 389
Mr. Mortell
It depends on the individual. If you go expecting to just "make friends" then you won't. You still have to put effort in. Depending on your course and flat too. Bad flatmates can make for an unpleasant experience but there are ways of overcoming it. But these things are true of all universities.

Yeah i suppose that's true.. Also some people say the asian/black people tend to segregate themselves? Is this much of an issue or not really? Is it a good student life? Sorry for all the questions its just i think i'm going to firm it but i want to know as much as i can before i do!!
coleyjane
Yeah i suppose that's true.. Also some people say the asian/black people tend to segregate themselves? Is this much of an issue or not really? Is it a good student life? Sorry for all the questions its just i think i'm going to firm it but i want to know as much as i can before i do!!

No never been an issue for me. I'm friends with nearly everyone on my course though. I would say only real segregation is between those that live at home and those that stay in halls but even that isn't always true. Even if some people did segregate themselves there would still be plenty of people who wouldn't to be friends with. I think the social life is really good. You've got the SU, local pubs, and then you have central London. A nice mix, I think.
Hi i've just got an offer to study dentistry here in september and i was wondering about accomodation, in terms of will people from barts share accomodation with people from all queen marys, are there diffreences in distances between the halls and where i will have lectures and the main campus and which is the best socially cheers.
lgreenhalgh
Hi i've just got an offer to study dentistry here in september and i was wondering about accomodation, in terms of will people from barts share accomodation with people from all queen marys, are there diffreences in distances between the halls and where i will have lectures and the main campus and which is the best socially cheers.

As far as I know Barts is just formally a part of QMU, but their quite independent and their accommodation is closer to central, I think it's around the Angel tube station. Not sure about the lectures, though, as I'm not a med student. Someone who does a med course could probably give you more detailed information :smile:
lgreenhalgh

Actually most BL freshers are in Mile End, in the Student Village iirc.

There are some rooms available in Whitechapel/Charterhouse Square (near Barbican) too...though most are on the QM campus as I say.

The Student Village halls in Mile End are a lot newer than the ones in Whitechapel/Charterhouse square :yy:
Reply 394
Are most dentistry lectures based at whitechapel?
wow09
Are most dentistry lectures based at whitechapel?

Yes, iirc.
Reply 396
I have heard there are a fair few Indians there, are the majority normal average joe's or are they those ones with spiky hair and have rude boy attitudes?
Reply 397
kjs17
I have heard there are a fair few Indians there, are the majority normal average joe's or are they those ones with spiky hair and have rude boy attitudes?

Mixture. Theres quite a few rude boi types around the campus but most of the Indians/Pakistanis/Bangladeshis etc in my seminars are just normal studenty types.
Depends if you're studying computer science or not.
Reply 399
Arturo Bandini
Depends if you're studying computer science or not.

No I'm not, why does that make a difference?

And I completed my application for the accommodation a few minutes back, when do you guys think I will hear from them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending