The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

FAQ: Ask A Current Student!

Scroll to see replies

anniegreen2005
Hey, this may be a really stupid question but what are intercollegiate halls ??? thanks x

Intercollegiate halls are halls which are owned by the university of london and queen mary has a share rooms which it can allocate students.

http://www.lon.ac.uk/accom

this link should help you with any further questions. The halls are in russell square and are about 30 mins away from mile end.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 61
anniegreen2005
Hey, this may be a really stupid question but what are intercollegiate halls ??? thanks x

Intercollegiate halls are halls around London with students from all the UOL universities in them, so you might be sharing a flat with people from LSE, UCL, Kings etc. I think most of them are a good journey away from QMUL mind.
where do most medics live?
Reply 63
What are the entry requirements for GCSEs?
Reply 64
Hibz123
What are the entry requirements for GCSEs?

None, Queen Mary doesn't care about GCSEs.

cucumber sandwich
where do most medics live?

Anywhere, there are some Medic only halls not at the Mile End Campus, otherwise: Feilden, France, Pooley...but only cause they're bigger halls and more likely to contain medics.
Reply 65
Does QMUL throttle torrent traffic in dorms ? because I'm slowly coming to the realisation I might actually have to buy music and games again :|
ajp100688
Does QMUL throttle torrent traffic in dorms ? because I'm slowly coming to the realisation I might actually have to buy music and games again :|

Nope :smile:
Reply 67
fungirl1234
Nope :smile:

Good times.
Reply 68
(I should shuttup about this study abroad stuff but here goes...)

For your first year you are in halls, and then second and third you obviously have to move out and find your own place with a couple of friends right?

For anyone who has studied abroad, has it been hard for you to find anywhere to live when you've got back?
Lets say you only studied away for a semester, who with and where are you meant to stay when you get back :confused: Everyone would already be comfortable in their own accommodation :ninja:

I mean, don't most people get together as mates and rent out a flat/apartment, where would this leave people who want to study away for a semester or even a year :confused:

Thanks!

It's one of the things holding me back from studying out of the UK for part of a degree. This is of course, IF I get accepted at QMUL, and I have a whole year to think about it anyway. It's just our college makes us apply very early! October 24th to be exact so I have to start worrying about all this veryyy early:redface:
menaa-x
(I should shuttup about this study abroad stuff but here goes...)

For your first year you are in halls, and then second and third you obviously have to move out and find your own place with a couple of friends right?

For anyone who has studied abroad, has it been hard for you to find anywhere to live when you've got back?
Lets say you only studied away for a semester, who with and where are you meant to stay when you get back :confused: Everyone would already be comfortable in their own accommodation :ninja:

I mean, don't most people get together as mates and rent out a flat/apartment, where would this leave people who want to study away for a semester or even a year :confused:

Thanks!

It's one of the things holding me back from studying out of the UK for part of a degree. This is of course, IF I get accepted at QMUL, and I have a whole year to think about it anyway. It's just our college makes us apply very early! October 24th to be exact so I have to start worrying about all this veryyy early:redface:

There are exceptions to thr rule and you would fall under one lol. Yes as the general rule you are only able to live in halls in your first year, however if you are on a 4 year course as your study abroad programme is you are able to apply and will be considered for halls in your 4th year. There are also exceptions for medics/dentistry as well. For more info i would email the residences office. I hope that eliminates some of your fears. good luck
Reply 70
fungirl1234
There are exceptions to thr rule and you would fall under one lol. Yes as the general rule you are only able to live in halls in your first year, however if you are on a 4 year course as your study abroad programme is you are able to apply and will be considered for halls in your 4th year. There are also exceptions for medics/dentistry as well. For more info i would email the residences office. I hope that eliminates some of your fears. good luck

Thanks for that, but doesn't QMUL have the option of only studying abroad for one semester (as well as the year long option)? Which would count as part of your degree so your course would still be 3 years and not 4...
I'd like to go for a semester that's why I'm wondering where I would stay when I get back (If I get accepted at QMUL and actually decide to go for a semester) :confused:
menaa-x
Thanks for that, but doesn't QMUL have the option of only studying abroad for one semester (as well as the year long option)? Which would count as part of your degree so your course would still be 3 years and not 4...
I'd like to go for a semester that's why I'm wondering where I would stay when I get back (If I get accepted at QMUL and actually decide to go for a semester) :confused:

Hmm i didnt know you could go for a semester, i thought you could only go for a year. Are you sure you can apply to go for a semester? Sorry to not be of help.
Yes, you can go for a semester. However only certain courses allow that. I know that in History you can and in Politics you can't, if that's any help! Any course at UCal only allow a year exchange.

I really wouldn't worry about finding accommodation when you return. You'll be living in London, it'll be so easy and there are always notices for rooms and so on.

QMUL offers both the Semester and year long study abroad options, but both are hard to get onto (but possible, I did!) As I said above, you need to ensure that your course allows you to be away for only a semester - it does count towards your degree.
Reply 73
doingmybest
Yes, you can go for a semester. However only certain courses allow that. I know that in History you can and in Politics you can't, if that's any help! Any course at UCal only allow a year exchange.

I really wouldn't worry about finding accommodation when you return. You'll be living in London, it'll be so easy and there are always notices for rooms and so on.

QMUL offers both the Semester and year long study abroad options, but both are hard to get onto (but possible, I did!) As I said above, you need to ensure that your course allows you to be away for only a semester - it does count towards your degree.

Hey thanks! Yep I looked at the English courses and it says that the course allows it :yep:

Is it reaallyy hard to get onto the programme? Do a lot of people apply? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to know as much as I can :p:
Do you have to write another personal statement or show them exampler work or anything?

:yep: I also already know about the UCal only being for a year :yep: On the QMUL website, it gives a price, something like $19000 for example. Is that how much you would have to pay to go abroad or is that how much you have to prove that you have? Would that be the money you use for your food, accommodation etc? Or is that seperate?

Sorry for all the questions I'm throwing at you!!
menaa-x
Hey thanks! Yep I looked at the English courses and it says that the course allows it :yep:

Is it reaallyy hard to get onto the programme? Do a lot of people apply? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to know as much as I can :p:
Do you have to write another personal statement or show them exampler work or anything?

:yep: I also already know about the UCal only being for a year :yep: On the QMUL website, it gives a price, something like $19000 for example. Is that how much you would have to pay to go abroad or is that how much you have to prove that you have? Would that be the money you use for your food, accommodation etc? Or is that seperate?

Sorry for all the questions I'm throwing at you!!

Yes it is hard, but not imposible and yes a lot of people apply.
Around November time, look out for a presentation on study abroad. This will give you heaps of info and the opportunity to ask questions. You'll then need to complete the application form, write a personal statement (aimed at study abroad QM) and get a reference from your advisor. You'll know by Christmas if you are successful :smile: and then depending on where you're going, you may need to write another statement and get more references (As I did).

The prices on the website, we are told are a good indication. However, it's likely that you'll spend more than that, because you will be visiting and travelling more than the average student. :smile:

Where are you thinking of going?
Reply 75
doingmybest
Yes it is hard, but not imposible and yes a lot of people apply.
Around November time, look out for a presentation on study abroad. This will give you heaps of info and the opportunity to ask questions. You'll then need to complete the application form, write a personal statement (aimed at study abroad QM) and get a reference from your advisor. You'll know by Christmas if you are successful :smile: and then depending on where you're going, you may need to write another statement and get more references (As I did).

The prices on the website, we are told are a good indication. However, it's likely that you'll spend more than that, because you will be visiting and travelling more than the average student. :smile:

Where are you thinking of going?

Ooohh, well I'm a 2010 applicant and I wanted to know these things before I apply :p: I want to do English and I think it's cool that QMUL has the study abroad thing. So did you know lots of people who also went, I take it there are not lots of places?

I think I might only want to go for a Semester, but I'd really like to go UCal (which isn't possible with a semester) So I don't know! Where did you go? Did you get a lot of free time to yourself, I mean, for the visiting and travelling that you mentioned.

Oohhh, If I get into QMUL I reaallyy hope I get a place on the semester abroad thing :sad: I would be devestated if I didn't :redface:
The personal statement that you write, do you write it for the Uni's abroad to see, or only for QMUL? Did you get any advice on what to write in it?! :redface:

Thank you so much:biggrin:!!
Is there any current Economics Student(s) out there who can help me?

I feel quiet scared about not getting into my firm and insurance choice for uni, and I was thinking whether I would be accepted be Queen Mary's for BSc Economics through clearing.

Best case senario would be if I get ABC (Maths, Phys, Chem), to Worst Case senario being BCD (Maths, Phys, Chem)

Help me please, ty! ^_^
Reply 77
damedame
Yeah I rung Queen Mary yesterday and they said everyone should get something in thier email in the next couple of days (they actually suggested from the 24th of April).....

does anyone have the queen mary e-mail address, cant seem to find it and its important. thanks
TheNihilist
Is there any current Economics Student(s) out there who can help me?

I feel quiet scared about not getting into my firm and insurance choice for uni, and I was thinking whether I would be accepted be Queen Mary's for BSc Economics through clearing.

Best case senario would be if I get ABC (Maths, Phys, Chem), to Worst Case senario being BCD (Maths, Phys, Chem)

Help me please, ty! ^_^

Last year, you needed BBB 300 points normally and in clearing, the point score dropped to 280 points with an A in Maths.
However, if you look at 2010 entry they have increased significantly from BBB to AAB (Don't ask me why here, as I do not know)
Your 2nd choice was Sheffield and unfortunately they no longer go into clearing it seems for UK/Home students. All their clearing places are offered to International students only. With your worst case scenario BCD, I'm afraid I don't actually know any reputable unis that will probably accept that. You need at least BCC to have a shot ..
Do you know what you would do in a worst case scenario? Gap year etc. Reapplication?
Pink Liquid
Last year, you needed BBB 300 points normally and in clearing, the point score dropped to 280 points with an A in Maths.
However, if you look at 2010 entry they have increased significantly from BBB to AAB (Don't ask me why here, as I do not know)
Your 2nd choice was Sheffield and unfortunately they no longer go into clearing it seems for UK/Home students. All their clearing places are offered to International students only. With your worst case scenario BCD, I'm afraid I don't actually know any reputable unis that will probably accept that. You need at least BCC to have a shot ..
Do you know what you would do in a worst case scenario? Gap year etc. Reapplication?

Were all clearing places for BSc Economics offered to International students for Queen Mary's? What about joint Economics BSc degrees, are all offers 280 UCAS points with A in Mathematics?

If the worst case senario was to happen, I might take a gap year, retake A2 modules and reapply. Hopefully Queen Mary's Uni might be lenient in clearing this year... Well, hope for the best. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending