The Student Room Group

The future scares me and I no longer know what to do

Hi,
I'm a UK law student wanting to becoming a corporate solicitor one day. I took a gap year during my a levels due to ill health. Then, I went off to university at 19. I was r*ped that year and became very depressed which led me to repeating the year. I am now realising that I hate my degree and I do not enjoy this university. It triggers me and I want a fresh start elsewhere. However, I am now 21. It scares me to that when all my friends are graduating and moving into work, l'll be restarting a whole new degree course at a whole new university.
I'm scared l'll be judged. I'll graduate at 24 and it normally takes another 2-3 years to qualify. So I will not be a qualified solicitor until 27. Is this bad? I'm just so confused and upset. I wish I had never stayed at this university and went elsewhere. I just have so many regrets. An advice?
Hi @Retttnoul :smile:

I hope you're doing okay and I'm sorry to hear you haven't had the best of times.

Many successful solicitors don't start their career until later in life and are still very accomplished. The great thing about Law is that people decide to pursue a career in it at varying different ages. Sure, there will be some students who study right from school and qualify at a young age but there are also many students who start studying at a much later age than you currently are.

There are so many advantages to being a mature student including life experience, maturity levels and a having clear goals. At The University of Law, around 15% of our full-time undergraduate population are mature students with many more progressing into postgraduate study. So if you decide that you still want to pursue a career in law, you wouldn't be alone. There are also lots of options including part time study or studying online if you didn't want to attend a physical campus.

If you need any more advice about university in general or have any questions about The University of Law, just let me know and I'd be happy to help!

Laura :rave:
Original post by Retttnoul
Hi,
I'm a UK law student wanting to becoming a corporate solicitor one day. I took a gap year during my a levels due to ill health. Then, I went off to university at 19. I was r*ped that year and became very depressed which led me to repeating the year. I am now realising that I hate my degree and I do not enjoy this university. It triggers me and I want a fresh start elsewhere. However, I am now 21. It scares me to that when all my friends are graduating and moving into work, l'll be restarting a whole new degree course at a whole new university.
I'm scared l'll be judged. I'll graduate at 24 and it normally takes another 2-3 years to qualify. So I will not be a qualified solicitor until 27. Is this bad? I'm just so confused and upset. I wish I had never stayed at this university and went elsewhere. I just have so many regrets. An advice?

It's just not a thing. Adults don't ask how old colleagues are and don't care. There could be a hundred reasons why someone qualifies at 27 rather than 25 and done of them are material.
Reply 3
Original post by Retttnoul
Hi,

I have friends who started their bachelor’s when everyone else (peers of the same age) had already graduated. Also know people who started their LLB decades older than you. Nothing bad about that at all. Everyone will be busy with their own problems and challenges in life, so I’m not sure who will judge you, but if there were people who would judge you in a bad way due to this, then such people are useless to you anyway. Chin up and look on the bright side you get to enjoy more years of being a student! Believe me, you’ll miss that when you’re older.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending