The Student Room Group

My bf admitted to ‘emotional cheating’

I’d like some mature replies please and from anyone over 18. No ‘omg ditch that scumbag!!

I’m not sure if emotional cheating is the correct phrase to use but, me and my bf have been together for maybe 6 years. A little while back his fb was open and I nosed, I know I shouldn’t have but curiosity hit. I seen a few messages to girls I never heard of, none of the messages were explicitly flirty but emotionally charged. I didn’t admit to nosing, however recently he came out with that in the past after we had some rocky moments he’d seek out girls to interact with online, but he’s regretful about it and over the years he’s grown and learnt that wasn’t the way to go about it. I’m glad he admitted this, but at the same time I feel betrayed of trust- even if he wasn’t fully pursuing them it still hurts. I’m not sure how to process this.
Original post by Anonymous
I’d like some mature replies please and from anyone over 18. No ‘omg ditch that scumbag!!

I’m not sure if emotional cheating is the correct phrase to use but, me and my bf have been together for maybe 6 years. A little while back his fb was open and I nosed, I know I shouldn’t have but curiosity hit. I seen a few messages to girls I never heard of, none of the messages were explicitly flirty but emotionally charged. I didn’t admit to nosing, however recently he came out with that in the past after we had some rocky moments he’d seek out girls to interact with online, but he’s regretful about it and over the years he’s grown and learnt that wasn’t the way to go about it. I’m glad he admitted this, but at the same time I feel betrayed of trust- even if he wasn’t fully pursuing them it still hurts. I’m not sure how to process this.

When did he admit this to you?
Original post by Mohammed_80
When did he admit this to you?

Today
Reply 3
By rocky, do you mean broken up?
We need more insight to this rocky moment in your relationship.
Today

Honestly what I think he’s done is wrong he jeopardised honesty and trust here you guys kept a 6 year relationship between the both of you yet somehow you knew that he cheated on you emotionally today, those are just two of many traits needed in a healthy relationship to maintain it for all you know he could have done other things behind your back too. I would have been him and be straightforward up to when I would have done it and it wouldn’t have been as severe if he admitted to it when he did it the first time around but the saying is once a cheat always a cheat.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Hard to comment without knowing the messages, but it doesn’t seem so serious to me. I guess one of the questions is would he have cheated if they’d responded in the right way. However he didn’t cheat, you already knew about this and we has now told you about it. If the relationship is still good for you I wouldn’t end it based on this alone
Original post by xox416
By rocky, do you mean broken up?
We need more insight to this rocky moment in your relationship.

Just as in disputes and arguments, not breakups
Reply 7
Just as in disputes and arguments, not breakup

You have an argument, he reaches out to other girls. This shows his character, I don't think this should be ignored. Just wondering how you are sure this is just an online thing?
So let me get this right did it go something like this

You and bf have an argument
Bf contacts girls on Facebook
Bf admits to having done this in past
Bf says that he knows how to deal with this better now

If that is the case I would hope that he has grown up and realised how silly he was to deal with any arguments this way.

The one question is why is he telling you now? Is it to confess so he can move on with his new way of dealing with it or was he worried he was going to be caught!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending