The Student Room Group

Firm/insurance uni after results day

So I know that after results day you wouldn't be able to pick between your firm and insurance via UCAS but does anyone know if you would still be able to call up your insurance uni to see if they would take you in given you've met the offer and decline your firm uni?
(given that you had the grades for both unis but UCAS automatically declined the insurance choice as to what would happen anyway).
I've tried to look for sources of this but none really mentioned what would happen if you contacted the unis directly.

I've not decided on my firm/insurance yet as what I want to be my firm uni is giving the lowest offer I have and frankly, I made some poor uni decisions back last year and the only other option I have is a uni that is giving a higher uni but I feel like my decision could change after results day since I'm really indecisive...
Original post by Carrotsroom
So I know that after results day you wouldn't be able to pick between your firm and insurance via UCAS but does anyone know if you would still be able to call up your insurance uni to see if they would take you in given you've met the offer and decline your firm uni?
(given that you had the grades for both unis but UCAS automatically declined the insurance choice as to what would happen anyway).
I've tried to look for sources of this but none really mentioned what would happen if you contacted the unis directly.

I've not decided on my firm/insurance yet as what I want to be my firm uni is giving the lowest offer I have and frankly, I made some poor uni decisions back last year and the only other option I have is a uni that is giving a higher uni but I feel like my decision could change after results day since I'm really indecisive...

Yes you can, but your insurance university are under no obligation to take you and may not have any spaces / say yes.

Remember that you don't have to decide just yet, there are still a few weeks to go until the deadline to confirm your firm and insurance offers.

Could you tell us about the options you're stuck between and maybe we can help a little bit with your dilemma?
Original post by 04MR17
Yes you can, but your insurance university are under no obligation to take you and may not have any spaces / say yes.

Remember that you don't have to decide just yet, there are still a few weeks to go until the deadline to confirm your firm and insurance offers.

Could you tell us about the options you're stuck between and maybe we can help a little bit with your dilemma?

Sure, I am thinking of firming Durham for econ with management. Im a contextual student so my offer was ABB.
At the time of my application, I was super determined to only apply to unis that offered econ and management so my choices were limited. At this moment, I am actually thinking of transferring to pure economics as I now have more of an idea of what to do at postgrad and econ with management wouldn't be a strong option compared to pure economics (due to the modules). So it left me with a lot of regrets due to my choices months ago...
The other unis I have applied to and received offers from are Bristol (also ABB but this was a last minute decision that I had not thought this through thoroughly and the distance is quite literally the entire country), Manchester (AAA but the course I applied to was international business economics and I don't find it worth that I struggle transferring to a pure economics course as the offer is much higher than Durham's), and Loughborough (AAA, same as Manchester, I wouldn't set it as my insurance as its higher than what my firm would be). If I had known to not be so strict with sticking with econ and management and somehow knew I had the capability of achieving higher grades, I would've probably applied to Warwick, UCL, St Andrews which actually were my initial choices in my first year of A-levels (some serious regrets now...)

The only one I'm waiting back from is KCL. This is where my dilemma comes through as its super unlikely I will get an offer lower than ABB from them. My original dilemma I had weeks back was deciding whether to put Durham or KCL as my firm and I eventually decided on Durham as its closer to home and I don't know what London is like.
But, since I still remain indecisive, I have no idea whether this decision will change by 8 June which I must need to have submitted my preferences, given that KCL gives me an offer anyway. This brings me to the original post as I may later change my mind after A-level results day where I may have achieved the grades for KCL but had already set it as my insurance and was too late to change it on UCAS.
Sure, I am thinking of firming Durham for econ with management. Im a contextual student so my offer was ABB.
At the time of my application, I was super determined to only apply to unis that offered econ and management so my choices were limited. At this moment, I am actually thinking of transferring to pure economics as I now have more of an idea of what to do at postgrad and econ with management wouldn't be a strong option compared to pure economics (due to the modules). So it left me with a lot of regrets due to my choices months ago...
The other unis I have applied to and received offers from are Bristol (also ABB but this was a last minute decision that I had not thought this through thoroughly and the distance is quite literally the entire country), Manchester (AAA but the course I applied to was international business economics and I don't find it worth that I struggle transferring to a pure economics course as the offer is much higher than Durham's), and Loughborough (AAA, same as Manchester, I wouldn't set it as my insurance as its higher than what my firm would be). If I had known to not be so strict with sticking with econ and management and somehow knew I had the capability of achieving higher grades, I would've probably applied to Warwick, UCL, St Andrews which actually were my initial choices in my first year of A-levels (some serious regrets now...)

The only one I'm waiting back from is KCL. This is where my dilemma comes through as its super unlikely I will get an offer lower than ABB from them. My original dilemma I had weeks back was deciding whether to put Durham or KCL as my firm and I eventually decided on Durham as its closer to home and I don't know what London is like.
But, since I still remain indecisive, I have no idea whether this decision will change by 8 June which I must need to have submitted my preferences, given that KCL gives me an offer anyway. This brings me to the original post as I may later change my mind after A-level results day where I may have achieved the grades for KCL but had already set it as my insurance and was too late to change it on UCAS.

Gosh, a lot of words for my brain on a Friday night :redface:

I'm going to try and recap:
Course: Economics and Management
Durham -ABB (current firm)
Bristol - ABB
Manchester - AAA - International business economics
Loughborough - AAA
KCL - waiting for response - unlikely to be a lower offer

However, aiming to change from econ & man to straight econ.

that sound about right?

You could call up Durham econ department next week and ask them whether it would be possible to change you from econ & management to economics now and still receive an offer? If it's within the same department this is something they should be able to answer. Then fiddle about with how it works on UCAS later on. :smile:

You could also call up KCL and ask if there are spaces on the straight economics course.

Then you'd be able to get a full picture.

A bit of feedback: it's fantastic that you're already thinking about best routes into postgrad options. Have you looked at whether the postgrad courses you're eyeing up would take someone with an econ and management degree?
Original post by 04MR17
Gosh, a lot of words for my brain on a Friday night :redface:

I'm going to try and recap:
Course: Economics and Management
Durham -ABB (current firm)
Bristol - ABB
Manchester - AAA - International business economics
Loughborough - AAA
KCL - waiting for response - unlikely to be a lower offer

However, aiming to change from econ & man to straight econ.

that sound about right?

You could call up Durham econ department next week and ask them whether it would be possible to change you from econ & management to economics now and still receive an offer? If it's within the same department this is something they should be able to answer. Then fiddle about with how it works on UCAS later on. :smile:

You could also call up KCL and ask if there are spaces on the straight economics course.

Then you'd be able to get a full picture.

A bit of feedback: it's fantastic that you're already thinking about best routes into postgrad options. Have you looked at whether the postgrad courses you're eyeing up would take someone with an econ and management degree?

Thanks for the reply! Yes what you wrote is a much more summarised version of what I wrote- would've saved me a lot of typing if I thought of that!
I'm aware that Durham would allow me to transfer to a straight econ course as I know a friend who transferred from econ with management to Finance and had no trouble except for a bit of a time lag.
I haven't actually considered asking KCL to transfer to a straight econ course but I am worried that it may push my application back further, would it be better to see if I would get an offer first and then see to the transfer after?

I am aiming somewhere higher up for postgraduate, possibly Oxford and definitely London given the opportunities in finances. It was actually brought to light to me during a Durham offer day that I may have to transfer to pure economics as they recommend to students who have such ambitions that they would benefit from taking 3 certain modules in the final year. If I were to pursue E&M, I would only be able to take 2 out of those 3 modules whereas I could take all 3 in pure econ.
However, I've not fully decided as I'm not sure what postgrad course I will apply to. The current ones I have in mind are economics of course, or something like an MBA or a masters in management. I'm not very maths orientated and my mentor that me guide through the uni process has suggested that it may not benefit me in taking those 3 modules due to the high levels of maths involved that could risk what grade I get. He also pointed out whether I wanted a maths-orientated career in which those 3 modules would be helpful but I've not thought that far yet..
Apologies for yet another long paragraph!
Thanks for the reply! Yes what you wrote is a much more summarised version of what I wrote- would've saved me a lot of typing if I thought of that!
I'm aware that Durham would allow me to transfer to a straight econ course as I know a friend who transferred from econ with management to Finance and had no trouble except for a bit of a time lag.
I haven't actually considered asking KCL to transfer to a straight econ course but I am worried that it may push my application back further, would it be better to see if I would get an offer first and then see to the transfer after?

I am aiming somewhere higher up for postgraduate, possibly Oxford and definitely London given the opportunities in finances. It was actually brought to light to me during a Durham offer day that I may have to transfer to pure economics as they recommend to students who have such ambitions that they would benefit from taking 3 certain modules in the final year. If I were to pursue E&M, I would only be able to take 2 out of those 3 modules whereas I could take all 3 in pure econ.

However, I've not fully decided as I'm not sure what postgrad course I will apply to. The current ones I have in mind are economics of course, or something like an MBA or a masters in management. I'm not very maths orientated and my mentor that me guide through the uni process has suggested that it may not benefit me in taking those 3 modules due to the high levels of maths involved that could risk what grade I get. He also pointed out whether I wanted a maths-orientated career in which those 3 modules would be helpful but I've not thought that far yet..

at this point I'm going to recognise my own lack of expertise in the economics area and tag in @BenRyan99 to ask for some advice about where to go from here.

BenRyan, TL;DR:
Has 4 offers so far, possibly a 5th from KCL. Ruled out Manchester already, thinking of Durham as firm for economics and management. Also considering a switch to pure econ as more suitable for desired postgrad courses which are highly competitive unis with potential ambitions to end up working in finance in the city.

Economics is very competitive at the moment and London universities are in huge demand. It is highly unlikely that Kings will be in clearing for Economics and will have filled their places so wont accept you. What you are looking for probably wont be an option.

Last year Kings hadnt decided on thousands of student by the deadline eho were then auromatically rejected by UCAS. This might help explain the problem you will face with your plan.
Original post by swanseajack1
Economics is very competitive at the moment and London universities are in huge demand. It is highly unlikely that Kings will be in clearing for Economics and will have filled their places so wont accept you. What you are looking for probably wont be an option.

Last year Kings hadnt decided on thousands of student by the deadline eho were then auromatically rejected by UCAS. This might help explain the problem you will face with your plan.

Yes I've been worried that kings might do the same thing as last year but I am willing to wait a day before the may deadline before I withdraw myself. From what I've seen from tsr and social media in general, there's been more rejections sent to for economics than offers so I'm making myself believe that they are still sifting through who to reject first :frown:
I wouldn’t assume that a course switch at Durham will be simple or allowed just because a friend was allowed in the past to a different degree. Finance isn’t Econ.

Ring up Durham and ASK them if you can switch to straight Econ tomorrow morning. If it’s not guaranteed or allowed now then it’s not going to be possible once you enrol either. So best to have that information now to help inform your decision.

What grades do you think you’ll actually get?
Have you visited Loughborough and Durham?

Just because Durham made you a low offer doesn’t mean they’re the best option for you. You haven’t actually said anything positive about Durham in your posts apart from them making you a low offer and being geographically convenient. That’s not a good set of reasons to pick them as firm!
Original post by PQ
I wouldn’t assume that a course switch at Durham will be simple or allowed just because a friend was allowed in the past to a different degree. Finance isn’t Econ.

Ring up Durham and ASK them if you can switch to straight Econ tomorrow morning. If it’s not guaranteed or allowed now then it’s not going to be possible once you enrol either. So best to have that information now to help inform your decision.

What grades do you think you’ll actually get?
Have you visited Loughborough and Durham?

Just because Durham made you a low offer doesn’t mean they’re the best option for you. You haven’t actually said anything positive about Durham in your posts apart from them making you a low offer and being geographically convenient. That’s not a good set of reasons to pick them as firm!

Hi, the reason I know I would be able to transfer to pure econ is because I went to the offer holder day and asked them if I could and they basically said yes. And yes Finance isn't econ which is why I would be more likely to transfer to pure econ anyway since 60-70% of my current course I've applied to is economics whereas there's no similar modules between finance and econ...
I attended their summer school and I also attended ones in Cambridge which of course is a bigger city. I've pretty much lived in a tiny town my whole life and I know that loads of students say Durham is small but seeing that I've visited Durham multiple times already, I kinda determined that big city life isn't for me, which is also why Oxford>Cambridge for me too.
Durham made me a low offer because I'm a contextual student since the tiny town I live in is classed as deprived and the fact I passed the assignments at their summer school too, prior to that I didn't even know I was going to get a lower offer so i was ready to achieve the A*AA that's listed online.
Im predicted A*A*A (Economics, business, maths), I have no concern of achieving A/A* in economics and business so the BB offer that Durham gave me doesn't really change much as they asked for an A in maths which is what I was predicted.
I also prefer Durham's modules compared to my other choices such as Loughborough who IMO have either far too many modules or too little modules to choose from and some of the choices don't really appeal to me.
Tha's just some of the positives personal to me but others would include the geographical location. Durham is only an hours drive from where I live yet Loughborough is almost 4-5 hours and my parents and I have both agreed that seeing that Durham is also an RG, Durhams benefits outweigh the benefits of the other unis. I didn't think of this prior to my application but I'm the first generation of my family to go to uni which is why going somewhere as far as Bristol and Loughborough no longer appeals to me.
Same goes for kings (if I do get an offer) but I've only recently decided that London is far too expensive and big city life doesn't fit right with me. I'd only consider if it I had applied to UCL or imperial as then the benefits of going to London would be higher but not for kings as they've been slipping recently..
Ofc there's also cons to Durham which is why I said I might change my mind at a later date, these positives and negatives I've mentioned today might change in the near future as I'm just super indecisive as a person lmao
Hi, the reason I know I would be able to transfer to pure econ is because I went to the offer holder day and asked them if I could and they basically said yes.

That does assume that they were telling you the truth and not just encouraging you to firm them, which is one of their aims at offer holder days. There's also a difference between something being possible and being definite.

Hi @Carrotsroom

Congrats on your offers!

It's great to hear that you're considering studying at Loughborough!

If you have any questions feel free to get in touch :smile:

Jess
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending