The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Edinburgh or Bath for Economics?

Please can someone help me make a decision between the Uni of Edinburgh and Uni of Bath for Economics. Although I’ve heard Edinburgh has a more established global prestige, Bath is ranked higher in the UK university tables. Graduate employability? Teaching and resources? Student life? Thank you
Bath - the placement system is probably the best in the UK and its a serious target Uni for relevant employers.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Hello Ilos!

Many congrats on your offers from 2 top choices for Economics :smile:

Here at Bath, we are extremely proud of our Economics courses and their top-10 ranking in this year's subject league tables and our established links with key employers - but also being based in such a unique and safe city.

In terms of graduate prospects, as of 2018-20, 95% of 2018-20 Economics graduates were in either work or further study 15 months after, and having the chance to do a professional placement as many students do here at Bath, will mean a fantastic addition to your CV and a great chance to establish a professional network, which may not be available from some other universities.

As for learning and teaching, I cannot personally speak for Economics, but whilst studying Psychology at Bath (another of Bath's more competitive courses) I appreciated the mixture of lectures, seminars and more hands-on workshops, and the chance to choose several optional units in second and third/fourth year, to tailor my degree to my interests. You will likely have done so already, but its definitely worth re-reviewing all the different optional units you can choose from in at Bath and Edinburgh, and how they align with your career interests - Bath's list is here.

In terms of student life, despite being a much smaller city than Edinburgh and some other larger university cities, people often say its 'compact' as it has a lot to do and see in that small space. For example, there are plenty of shopping options including clothes shops, cosmetics shops, a regular market, health food shops and 5 different supermarkets, a healthy nightlife scene, and a fab variety of places to buy coffee or grab food - you might find it useful to check out this page for more info - I'm sure there will be similar 'city life' pages on Edinburgh's website. Plus, with Bath University, Bath Spa University and Bath College all close by, the city has a lively feel and is always full of students.

If you would like some more detailed info about what it's like to study the Economics course at Bath, the teaching, student life etc, then we have Mia on Unibuddy, a current Economics student who would be more than happy to chat and answer any questions via instant messaging :smile: - and of course feel free to post any more questions you have here.

Best of luck with your decision - I completely understand its a difficult one, but I'm confident you will have a great learning experience whichever you choose from Bath or Edinburgh.

I hope that helps!

Holly
University of Bath

Quick Reply

Latest