The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Architecture at Oxford Brookes University or University of Portsmouth?

I have unconditional offers from both universities. I have attended an open day, interview and applicant day for both universities and I still can’t decide which one I like more! So if you could please let me know anything about what it is like to study at either one, it would be much appreciated.
For example:

Is the teaching good?
Are there any specific lecturers/tutors you like the best?
How good is the support and feedback from staff?
Which facilities are better?
Is there more equipment available for students to use in workshops at Oxford Brookes or Portsmouth?
Can you buy materials at a discounted rate from the university workshop?
Which city do you think is best to study architecture, Oxford or Portsmouth? Which city offers more opportunities?
Original post by EmmaMorris20
I have unconditional offers from both universities. I have attended an open day, interview and applicant day for both universities and I still can’t decide which one I like more! So if you could please let me know anything about what it is like to study at either one, it would be much appreciated.
For example:

Is the teaching good?
Are there any specific lecturers/tutors you like the best?
How good is the support and feedback from staff?
Which facilities are better?
Is there more equipment available for students to use in workshops at Oxford Brookes or Portsmouth?
Can you buy materials at a discounted rate from the university workshop?
Which city do you think is best to study architecture, Oxford or Portsmouth? Which city offers more opportunities?

Hey there,

I'm a current student at the University of Portsmouth in my second year studying Psychology BSc.

From my experience the teaching has been great! My lecturers always make our lectures interactive and do their best to make even the more mundane content fun and enjoyable to learn - one of my lecturers went to the extent of putting on a costume to try and make things more exciting :biggrin: The lecturers are pretty good at responding on our discussion forums and work flexible office hours if we need any extra support.

The feedback for assignments is pretty good, and if we want the opportunity for further feedback we have the option to see our lecturers during their office hours.

I'm not 100% what the facilities are like at Oxford brookes, but we have a range of study areas all over the campus, plenty of laptops and computers with up-to-date software for students to use. Our library is open 24 hours which is fantastic for tight deadlines! So far during university I haven't had to buy one textbook as everything i've needed has been supplied. UoP has also put quite a bit of money ensuring there are the right facilities available for students across degrees - which is modern too! e.g. as a Psychology student I have access to heart rate monitors, EEG etc. and so on. For architecture the university has lots of studios, 3D printing machines etc available too.

As said above I haven't really needed to buy anything for my degree, but for architecture i'm sure you will need lots of stationary etc. I'm not 100% if the university will supply them/sell them but there are a lot of budget friendly stores around the campus.

You can see what career paths previous Architecture students have followed here. It's quite a big list and it's great to see what real actual students from the uni have progressed into :smile:

I love the layout of our university, as it's integrated into the city instead of a closed campus. It's great being by the seaside and always being a stones throw away from a cafe. It's a very student friendly city too - lots of places to use your student discount!

I hope this helps,

Lauren -Official Student Rep
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending