The Student Room Group

I know I want to drop out but I don't know if I should finish the year

I'm in my first year of an engineering degree. Last year I did a different STEM degree but it caused me a lot of problems with my mental health so I switched and am better for it.

This year has made me realise I don't want to go into a STEM career or field or get a degree in this subject. I also do not want to switch to a different university/university course because I don't learn easily from impersonal teaching and require a lot more effort to achieve passing grades.

Financially I need to finish the year as I cannot afford to repay my last instalment of maintenance loan (as I did last year for suspending early) so I am remaining enrolled. However I don't know if I should continue to work towards the upcoming exams or leave it.

I have a part time job to be able to afford to live at uni (in the city) and would still need this next year should I change my mind (unlikely) and that essentially has made my time very busy. To study and put it the minimum effort required to pass I would be burning myself out to exhaustion because I'd be so busy.

I know you are supposed to drop out as soon as you've decided and I know that you can potentially get a CertHE for finishing a first year but I need the money and for the degree apprenticeship I've looked at doing (different field and different learning style) the CertHE is irrelevant (and also doesn't count for much anyways)

Any opinions and advice would be appreciated as I'm just a bit stuck on how to proceed.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in my first year of an engineering degree. Last year I did a different STEM degree but it caused me a lot of problems with my mental health so I switched and am better for it.

This year has made me realise I don't want to go into a STEM career or field or get a degree in this subject. I also do not want to switch to a different university/university course because I don't learn easily from impersonal teaching and require a lot more effort to achieve passing grades.

Financially I need to finish the year as I cannot afford to repay my last instalment of maintenance loan (as I did last year for suspending early) so I am remaining enrolled. However I don't know if I should continue to work towards the upcoming exams or leave it.

I have a part time job to be able to afford to live at uni (in the city) and would still need this next year should I change my mind (unlikely) and that essentially has made my time very busy. To study and put it the minimum effort required to pass I would be burning myself out to exhaustion because I'd be so busy.

I know you are supposed to drop out as soon as you've decided and I know that you can potentially get a CertHE for finishing a first year but I need the money and for the degree apprenticeship I've looked at doing (different field and different learning style) the CertHE is irrelevant (and also doesn't count for much anyways)

Any opinions and advice would be appreciated as I'm just a bit stuck on how to proceed.

Hello there

I understand your situation and am sorry to hear you're feeling that way. It seems as though you do have a plan, and you have things under control so there is no reason to stress. Making a decision like that can be a complex one, with lots of consequences, but it sounds as though you have thought it through sufficiently to make an educated decision.

Student finance is definitely impacted by dropping out, and whilst I don't know the exact procedure, it does appear to be easier to finish your studies and finding in the summer break between years.

With regards to your upcoming exams, it is never worth completely burning yourself out and exposing yourself to excessive stress. I would attempt some revision/preparation, as you mentioned the possibility of a CertHE. This may not be necessary for your future career, but it is another thing to add to a CV and something to show for your work up until now. But remember, it is NEVER worth damaging your own mental or physical health for an exam or piece of work, so always bear that in mind.

Hope this helps
Adam - Uni of Kent Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending