The Student Room Group

A Level Choices. Help!

Hi! :tongue:
I am in Year 10 but my school is making me apply for sixth form and put down the subjects I want to do.

I am unsure whether to do
Option 1: Biology, Chemistry and Psychology
Option 2: Biology, Psychology and History (or English Lit???).
I know that all of these subjects are quite different. I would love to do Medicine which is why i am leaning towards option 1 but I have heard horror stories about chemistry A level.
If anyone is doing Chemistry A level do you regret it?

My current grades for reference (Hoping to get all 9's)
9: English lit+lang, Geography and Chemistry
8: History, RE, Spanish, Physics, Biology and Maths
Reply 1
Original post by niamhcheesecake
I am in Year 10 but my school is making me apply for sixth form and put down the subjects I want to do.

I know that all of these subjects are quite different. I would love to do Medicine which is why i am leaning towards option 1 but I have heard horror stories about chemistry A level.

hi!! if ur hoping to do medicine then u actually have to do chemistry a level!

most people for medicine do bio chem maths which is a strong combination - psychology is still relevent however. if ur hoping to get a 9 in maths, then does ur skl offer fm? if so i would recommend if u end up choosing to do maths since medicine is quite a competitive degree so it may just help u out a little since ur obviously capable :smile:

a lot of my friends take chem a level and whilst its a decent amount of work, all a level subjects will be. if u enjoy chemistry u will want to put in the work its manageable, so ultimately just pick the subjects u want whilst keeping in mind what u might want to study at uni.

if medicine is an option then ull need chemistry and biology is very helpful, so just keep that in mind !!
Original post by m11m
hi!! if ur hoping to do medicine then u actually have to do chemistry a level!

most people for medicine do bio chem maths which is a strong combination - psychology is still relevent however. if ur hoping to get a 9 in maths, then does ur skl offer fm? if so i would recommend if u end up choosing to do maths since medicine is quite a competitive degree so it may just help u out a little since ur obviously capable :smile:

a lot of my friends take chem a level and whilst its a decent amount of work, all a level subjects will be. if u enjoy chemistry u will want to put in the work its manageable, so ultimately just pick the subjects u want whilst keeping in mind what u might want to study at uni.

if medicine is an option then ull need chemistry and biology is very helpful, so just keep that in mind !!

Thank-you! I don't love maths and would not be enjoyable for me to do the a level so i don't think i will do it as i will probably get a better grade in psychology (Would it be better for me to get an A* in psychology rather than potentially A/B in Maths or is maths very valuable?) My school does not offer further maths gcse or A Level either.
Reply 3
Thank-you! I don't love maths and would not be enjoyable for me to do the a level so i don't think i will do it as i will probably get a better grade in psychology (Would it be better for me to get an A* in psychology rather than potentially A/B in Maths or is maths very valuable?) My school does not offer further maths gcse or A Level either.

okay thats absolutely fine not taking maths :smile: lots of people dont and still go on to do medicine

definitely take the subjects u think u can do best in this is the most important thing and keep in mind psychology is more memorising case studies/answering extended answer questions/essays.

i initially applied to do psychology but then switched to do physics however some of my friends do it and love it.

have u studied psychology before? if not then id suggest to just do a little bit of research eg looking at the spec just to give urself a bit of an insight into what to expect to study later on:smile:

Heya!:h:
Personally alvl chem was quite tough but I still loved it! As long as you keep up with your revision for it + do lots of practice questions then you should be fine :smile: If it helps, use this medical school comparison tool to compare entry requirements for different medical schools. Most do want bio and chem combo but there are some who want just bio!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by m11m
okay thats absolutely fine not taking maths :smile: lots of people dont and still go on to do medicine

definitely take the subjects u think u can do best in this is the most important thing and keep in mind psychology is more memorising case studies/answering extended answer questions/essays.

i initially applied to do psychology but then switched to do physics however some of my friends do it and love it.

have u studied psychology before? if not then id suggest to just do a little bit of research eg looking at the spec just to give urself a bit of an insight into what to expect to study later on:smile:

I have looked at my schools spec (aqa) and also my mum studied psychology at university so she has gone through it a bit with me. Also at my school i am part of a oxbridge/higher attainers program and an ex student is studying PBS at Cambridge and she went though her PS, her daily life and her subject which was very interesting to me! Thank-you for helping. :biggrin:
Reply 6
I have looked at my schools spec (aqa) and also my mum studied psychology at university so she has gone through it a bit with me. Also at my school i am part of a oxbridge/higher attainers program and an ex student is studying PBS at Cambridge and she went though her PS, her daily life and her subject which was very interesting to me! Thank-you for helping. :biggrin:

thats amazing!! best of luck :smile: seems like ur on ur way to achieve great things !!
Original post by m11m
thats amazing!! best of luck :smile: seems like ur on ur way to achieve great things !!

Tysm!
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!:h:
Personally alvl chem was quite tough but I still loved it! As long as you keep up with your revision for it + do lots of practice questions then you should be fine :smile: If it helps, use this medical school comparison tool to compare entry requirements for different medical schools. Most do want bio and chem combo but there are some who want just bio!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Thank you for the resource. Good to know that chemistry a level is enjoyable :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest