The Student Room Group

Went out for night with my friend and then got a therapy session

I have experienced sexual assault by men.. I was talking quite explicitly about my embarrassing sex life and framed it as banter. It was in a restaurant, and she gave no indication that she was uncomfortable. The evening was very pleasant, otherwise, We kind of disagreed a bit; she was concerned about me being isolated.

Later, I had a message of her basically saying that she was reducing all contact. She mentioned that she was going through a difficult time and that she felt really uncomfortable with my man-bashing and sex talk. She said that i was opening myself up to have sex with awful men who could use me. She said that i should look for counselling.

I thanked her for her honesty and apologised. She liked the comment about the help.

Upon reflection, II’ve found that her comments were actually inappropriate. She’s only met me on one night and making assumptions about my life. She has no idea about the men I sleep with. I told her that she was out of order. She said she was sorry and asked me if wanted a further response. I said no thanks. Do you think I was in the wrong? She has now blocked me?
Original post by Anonymous
Do you think I was in the wrong? She has now blocked me?

Kinda yea. You can't really claim she hasn't known you long enough or whatever when you were quite willing to opine such personal info so early in a friendship and put her in a position where a response is expected. If she is claiming that it made her uncomfortable, she thought you were putting yourself in unwise situations as a result and would possibly benefit from professional engaging with it... it's hard to see how such an opinion is inappropriate.
I have experienced sexual assault by men.. I was talking quite explicitly about my embarrassing sex life and framed it as banter. It was in a restaurant, and she gave no indication that she was uncomfortable. The evening was very pleasant, otherwise, We kind of disagreed a bit; she was concerned about me being isolated.

Later, I had a message of her basically saying that she was reducing all contact. She mentioned that she was going through a difficult time and that she felt really uncomfortable with my man-bashing and sex talk. She said that i was opening myself up to have sex with awful men who could use me. She said that i should look for counselling.

I thanked her for her honesty and apologised. She liked the comment about the help.

Upon reflection, II’ve found that her comments were actually inappropriate. She’s only met me on one night and making assumptions about my life. She has no idea about the men I sleep with. I told her that she was out of order. She said she was sorry and asked me if wanted a further response. I said no thanks. Do you think I was in the wrong? She has now blocked me?

That's a lot to handle if that's the first time you've had a serious conversation.
Original post by ageshallnot
That's a lot to handle if that's the first time you've had a who is part

On, who’s part her or ,in?

That's not what I wrote. See post #3.
Whilst I have full sympathy for what you have been through, and think it may have been inappropriate for her to make a judgement about your life like that (though I would also argue it depends on how the conversation went - perhaps she thought you were asking for an opinion, we idon'thave enough context here to comment), I do think even "banter" about sex life the first time you meet someone is a bit much...
Original post by black tea
Whilst I have full sympathy for what you have been through, and think it may have been inappropriate for her to make a judgement about your life like that (though I would also argue it depends on how the conversation went - perhaps she thought you were asking for an opinion, we idon'thave enough context here to comment), I do think even "banter" about sex life the first time you meet someone is a bit much...

Yes, I acknowledge and appreciate that. But she gave no indication that she felt uncomfortable, and she was actually laughing and smiling, so I just continued. And it was on the restaurant on a Saturday night.

Do you think she was being invasive to soon?
Do you think she was being invasive to soon?

No, tbh it sounds like you introduced topics that she wasn't comfortable with. Though she should have indicated that rather than let you continue.
Yes, I acknowledge and appreciate that. But she gave no indication that she felt uncomfortable, and she was actually laughing and smiling, so I just continued. And it was on the restaurant on a Saturday night.

I suspect she was just being polite, especially if you had only just met. I'm not quite sure why the location and day matter, tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending