The Student Room Group

Can I do my piano Grade 6 during year 13 and make it count towards my UCAS points?

I have known piano for a long time but never wanted to take a grade in it. However, I have noticed that piano grades can make positive contributions to your UCAS application, and even though it may not make much of a difference (especially since I want to apply for engineering), I don't see why I shouldn't get at least a grade 6. I am wondering, can I do the piano grade during next year and still make it contribute UCAS points, or do I have to do it by the time I make my application?
A musical grade will not contribute to ucas points, you can use your achievements in the personal statement to show dedication etc but it won’t have any impact on ucas points/grades needed.
Original post by maybemiro
I have known piano for a long time but never wanted to take a grade in it. However, I have noticed that piano grades can make positive contributions to your UCAS application, and even though it may not make much of a difference (especially since I want to apply for engineering), I don't see why I shouldn't get at least a grade 6. I am wondering, can I do the piano grade during next year and still make it contribute UCAS points, or do I have to do it by the time I make my application?

Before you pursue this approach, please ensure your target universities will accept UCAS points from music grades.

It's not uncommon to see phrases like:

"The entry requirements for this programme are 100 UCAS tariff points from level 3 academic qualifications."
-or-
"104 UCAS points from A-Levels (we also accept UCAS points from alternative Level 3 qualifications including: BTEC Nationals, the International Baccalaureate and Scottish and Irish Highers)."

As you imply in your question, you musically ability is unlikely to be relevant to an engineering degree.
Some unis might accept some won’t
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Before you pursue this approach, please ensure your target universities will accept UCAS points from music grades.

It's not uncommon to see phrases like:

"The entry requirements for this programme are 100 UCAS tariff points from level 3 academic qualifications."
-or-
"104 UCAS points from A-Levels (we also accept UCAS points from alternative Level 3 qualifications including: BTEC Nationals, the International Baccalaureate and Scottish and Irish Highers)."

As you imply in your question, you musically ability is unlikely to be relevant to an engineering degree.

I understand it may not be relevant, but would it make my application any less attractive if I do put down a music grade? And anyways, as was my main question, would I still be able to do the music grade in year 13 after my applications or do I have to do it before?
Original post by maybemiro
I understand it may not be relevant, but would it make my application any less attractive if I do put down a music grade? And anyways, as was my main question, would I still be able to do the music grade in year 13 after my applications or do I have to do it before?

You could do it after you've applied, but you should have entered the qualification (just not the grade) as part of the application itself. (You can add qualifications to your UCAS application after having submitted it, but your options for doing so are limited; see here and here).

In common with academic qualifications (A levels etc.) you would declare the music qualification (e.g. Music Practical Level 6 and/or Music Theory Level 6) on your UCAS form, with the grade as "Pending". (This would apply if you're still studying / practicing in preparation for the assessment / exam, or if you've taken the assessment / exam but don't yet know your results.)

Your school / college would then be expected to insert a predicted grade (below pass / pass / merit / distinction). If your school / college will not be in a position to make this prediction (which seems likely), you would need to ask someone else (e.g. an external music teacher) to e-mail their prediction to your school / college, such that it can then be added to your application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending