The Student Room Group

do gap years solve the 3 year residency problem?

i’m a uk citizen and was born here but moved to a different country (not in the EU) when i was 9. i just moved back last year in the summer after year 11 so when i apply to uni i will have lived here for 2 years instead of 3.

international fees are way too expensive so i cant pay them, but would applying for deferred entry work around the rule? that way i’ll start uni in 2025 and i’ll have lived here since the summer of 2022.

i’ve heard from some people that taking a gap year does work but i was wondering if applying deferred would change anything - like is there anywhere to indicate that i will qualify for home fees by the time i go to uni? cheers
Original post by cbgloml
i’m a uk citizen and was born here but moved to a different country (not in the EU) when i was 9. i just moved back last year in the summer after year 11 so when i apply to uni i will have lived here for 2 years instead of 3.

international fees are way too expensive so i cant pay them, but would applying for deferred entry work around the rule? that way i’ll start uni in 2025 and i’ll have lived here since the summer of 2022.

i’ve heard from some people that taking a gap year does work but i was wondering if applying deferred would change anything - like is there anywhere to indicate that i will qualify for home fees by the time i go to uni? cheers

Hi there,

It's entirely up to the university to decide what fees to charge. So, if you have a particular university in mind we'd recommend contacting them directly: they'll be able to tell you their criteria for being charges home fees.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending