The Student Room Group

Gap year and foreign student status

Hi, My daughter and I moved back to the UK, in 2022. We are both British passport holders. We understand that she must reside in the UK for 3 years, in order to be counted as a UK citizen for university purposes. Therefore, she is taking a gap year in order to satisfy the 3 year residency. However, what are the rules to her working abroad during the gap year? Can she work abroad during that year or does she have to remain in the UK for the whole year.
Original post by Tabs2802
Hi, My daughter and I moved back to the UK, in 2022. We are both British passport holders. We understand that she must reside in the UK for 3 years, in order to be counted as a UK citizen for university purposes. Therefore, she is taking a gap year in order to satisfy the 3 year residency. However, what are the rules to her working abroad during the gap year? Can she work abroad during that year or does she have to remain in the UK for the whole year.
Hi there,

Is this for a full time undergraduate degree? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

Is this for a full time undergraduate degree? Thanks, Jason
Yes it is.
Hi there. If the break in the 3 years residency was of a temporary nature, and evidence of the gap can be provided to show this, then this can be considered. All evidence will be assessed on a case by case basis.

Evidence examples:

A letter from university confirming the gap year (including dates)

A letter from the employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates

A contract from the employer that clearly shows the employment is of a temporary nature (including dates)

A letter from HM armed services/Commanding Officer etc

Temporary visas or work permits

Where evidence has been requested to show that the student maintained a connection to the UK, documents such as bank statements and utility bills can be reviewed

Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending