The Student Room Group

Is it fair?

Is it fair that some universities of the same degree eg Law, Pharmacy, IR are tested differently. Me and my friend revise together but go to different universities and the content being taught to us is exactly the same, so much so we can use each others slides. But his exams are all online and open book and over a period of 24 hours whereas mine are in an exam hall under exam conditions within a 2 hour period with no aids. I can’t possibly see how this is fair and it’s quite demotivating.
Reply 1
Is this for all students at your friends university? I know at my college, there is students with special needs that means they get longer time and are aided more in their exams.
Original post by Alperton6
Is it fair that some universities of the same degree eg Law, Pharmacy, IR are tested differently. Me and my friend revise together but go to different universities and the content being taught to us is exactly the same, so much so we can use each others slides. But his exams are all online and open book and over a period of 24 hours whereas mine are in an exam hall under exam conditions within a 2 hour period with no aids. I can’t possibly see how this is fair and it’s quite demotivating.

Are your friend's exams harder? (in terms of the questions and exam paper layout).
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 3

And when you are interviewing for a job in law will you tell your interviewer, "Can you give me 24 hours so that I look up the answer and I'll get back to you?"

If I were judging you both based on life, I would say your friend has got the raw deal.
Reply 4
Original post by Aufbau
Is this for all students at your friends university? I know at my college, there is students with special needs that means they get longer time and are aided more in their exams.

Yeah this same exam condition applies to all people within his cohort.
Reply 5
I have just had my exam of the same module that he had last week and the questions were of similar difficulty , with one of the questions even overlapping and being in both our exams. Rather demotivating he had access to the whole World Wide Web and I only had my tiny brain lol
Original post by Talkative Toad
Are your friend's exams harder? (in terms of the questions and exam paper layout).
It is unfair. Extensions are another matter. At my university if you don’t hand in on time it’s a straight up fail

At my friends university you’re allowed a three day extension without an extenuating circumstances. It’s bs.
I have just had my exam of the same module that he had last week and the questions were of similar difficulty , with one of the questions even overlapping and being in both our exams. Rather demotivating he had access to the whole World Wide Web and I only had my tiny brain lol

Unless you go to a much "better"/higher ranked university than he does then no, I can't see any justification for this being fair if the questions are of similar difficulty. But I know nothing about universities, academic integrity or law.

I wish that universities had standardised exams to be honest (that exams for the same course at different unis were assessed in the same way (same way as in there shouldn't be some universities that having 24 hour open book exams and others having 2 hour closed book exams for the same course)).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending