The Student Room Group

Is it okay for me to do no extra studying?

Hey, I am a year 9 at a Grammar school, I just joined it in year 9 and I guess I’m average at every subject in the class, however, every time when I get home from school, I do my homework then I have nothing else to do, when there isn’t an exam I literally have nothing to do, like I have no exams or anything and I’m feeling really guilty cuz I think I could use the time more productively, will I still get a grade 7+ in my GCSEs? My strongest subjects are French maths and the sciences but I’m struggling in English, my creative writing skills are at only at grade 5 level, but I don’t have any ways to improve then because there’s isn’t necessarily a way to ‘revise’ for English. So my question is, is it okay for me to just do no extra studying(just doing the minimum) and still getting a great score for l my GCSEs? Also, I heard that most of my classmates have a tutor where they have lessons, is it necessary for me to get one or am I okay? What should I do? I’m a bit lost.😅😅😅
Original post by Maxi2009
Hey, I am a year 9 at a Grammar school, I just joined it in year 9 and I guess I’m average at every subject in the class, however, every time when I get home from school, I do my homework then I have nothing else to do, when there isn’t an exam I literally have nothing to do, like I have no exams or anything and I’m feeling really guilty cuz I think I could use the time more productively, will I still get a grade 7+ in my GCSEs? My strongest subjects are French maths and the sciences but I’m struggling in English, my creative writing skills are at only at grade 5 level, but I don’t have any ways to improve then because there’s isn’t necessarily a way to ‘revise’ for English. So my question is, is it okay for me to just do no extra studying(just doing the minimum) and still getting a great score for l my GCSEs? Also, I heard that most of my classmates have a tutor where they have lessons, is it necessary for me to get one or am I okay? What should I do? I’m a bit lost.😅😅😅

You're still in year 9, so it's hard to tell if you can get a grade 7+. It's too early, and there's not enough or concrete proof/ prediction for a GCSE grade.

I wouldn't worry too much about studying right now (in year 9) since there are two more years until your exams. And because most of your GCSE content will be taught in year 10 and 11. I don't even think there's enough content for you to study on your own in year 9.

I'd say just study and do well for your year 9 exams (maybe study 2-3 weeks prior them) and enjoy/ do something productive with the rest of your time.

You can help your creative writing by simply reading and asking yourself questions about what the author is doing - what techniques are they using to build tension, interest, intrigue? It is the plot, the language, the slow reveal of facts, are the chapters long or short and does this have an effect etc. Read a book you love - why are you enjoying it? Read a book that is very popular in literature even though it's not your style - what techniques is the author using, why might people like it (which helps your neutral, analytical thinking).

You can also read ahead in anything, it might make it easier to engage when new work comes up.

But also, make sure you are investing in hobbies and experiences outside the classroom. Don't slump in front of the TV/screen, use your time to become more rounded as a person.
The thing that I think helps me most with being good at English is I am a voracious reader. Reading lots of books of different genres exposes you to lots of different styles of writing, vocabulary etc. plus it is great for escapism. I love fantasy (Samantha Shannon is amazing), dark academia, sci fi and I am also now getting into YA stuff like John green, Angie Thomas etc.

You won’t get the books you are doing for gcse until next year so use this year to just get better at getting under the skin of books you love. It will make studying ones you are given next year much easier.

I think that for now you have plenty of time to start actually getting on top of gcses, so it's best you study when you have exams and use other times to relax. If you do want to study something, you can always make revision resources (like flashcards) for any content-heavy subjects so it's easier to review them for when you have an exam or you can go through a topic you struggled with in lessons.

Specific to English, you can find exam-style questions for creative writing and use prompts to practice. Like let's say you have to write a story about something gone wrong then you can take time to plan it and write about it and you can get someone to look over it for you or upload it on tsr to get feedback. I'd highly recommend looking at different vocabulary and language techniques to use as those really make your writing stand out.

In terms of tutoring, don't get it if you don't need it - I think you're doing good for now, if you struggle in subjects in the future, then you can consider tutoring. However, if things don't improve for english by the summer term, then it might be helpful if you have some tutoring to improve your writing skills.

But try not to get sucked into revision all the time, use the spare time you have now to explore and do fun things - like pick up a new hobby or learn more about a topic that interests you.

Quick Reply

Latest