The Student Room Group

How do I explain to my parents I don't want to do medicine?

I understand why they're so insistent on me doing medicine because I was so insistent for like 5 years, and so that's what they've gone off of. Plus my mum paid so much money for me to go to this medical summer school (even though I told her not to :frown: ). So I'm kind of doing a 180 and saying it's not for me anymore. I am really into the research aspect of Pharmacy in general and want to go into Hospital Pharmacy so that I can still work in that kind of enviroment. My parents are immigrants and they think I'm taking the lazy way out and that I should just move to America to make loads of money but why would I? (I value my life) (guns). They also think my SO is having an impact and that he is feeding me tales that are convincing me to drop medicine which is not true. Obviously it's like 'just do what makes you happy' but I also don't want to damage our relationship so how do I explain it to them in a way for a Nigerian to understand??? Sorry this is long
(edited 12 months ago)
Original post by degiewegoe
I understand why they're so insistent on me doing medicine because I was so insistent for like 5 years, and so that's what they've gone off of. Plus my mum paid so much money for me to go to this medical summer school (even though I told her not to :frown: ). So I'm kind of doing a 180 and saying it's not for me anymore. I am really into the research aspect of Pharmacy in general and want to go into Hospital Pharmacy so that I can still work in that kind of enviroment. My parents are immigrants and they think I'm taking the lazy way out and that I should just move to America to make loads of money but why would I? (I value my life) (guns). They also think my SO is having an impact and that he is feeding me tales that are convincing me to drop medicine which is not true. Obviously it's like 'just do what makes you happy' but I also don't want to damage our relationship so how do I explain it to them in a way for a Nigerian to understand??? Sorry this is long

Hiya, just letting you know that I've approved this thread

This sounds like a tricky topic but please don't enter a medical course if you don't want to do it.

Would it be worth telling your parents one at a time?
Reply 2

i don’t know how to help you, but i’m in the exact opposite situation. i have a pharmacy degree waiting for me in september, but i want to do medicine. my parents want me to do the pharmacy.
Reply 3
Original post by 04MR17
Hiya, just letting you know that I've approved this thread

This sounds like a tricky topic but please don't enter a medical course if you don't want to do it.

Would it be worth telling your parents one at a time?

yeah I definitely don't plan to do medicine at all I won't let them pressure me into it. Telling them one at a time might work since if I do it at the same time they will definitely gang up on me
Reply 4
Original post by rafifin605
i don’t know how to help you, but i’m in the exact opposite situation. i have a pharmacy degree waiting for me in september, but i want to do medicine. my parents want me to do the pharmacy.

Maybe switch the pharmacy during the second year if that's possible? idk like all I'm thinking is rebel and stuff but I understand it's not that easy at all
Reply 5
Maybe switch the pharmacy during the second year if that's possible? idk like all I'm thinking is rebel and stuff but I understand it's not that easy at all

yeah they don’t switch to med unfortunately, and i don’t want to annoy them more. i’m jus gonna doing it i think tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending