The Student Room Group

Quitting PGCE

I'm currently undertaking a SCITT course which is also partnered with a local University, from whom we will be awarded a PGCE at the end of the programme. Having begun this, I would really like to drop the PGCE and just continue with the practical side of the training so as to still be awarded QTS at the end of the programme. Do you think this would be a feasible option?
Reply 1
Original post by Wendymckenzie9
I'm currently undertaking a SCITT course which is also partnered with a local University, from whom we will be awarded a PGCE at the end of the programme. Having begun this, I would really like to drop the PGCE and just continue with the practical side of the training so as to still be awarded QTS at the end of the programme. Do you think this would be a feasible option?

You'll have to talk to your provider about this - some offer a QTS only route but some don't. I know my uni only offer QTS when paired with the PGCE so it depends on the provider!
I agree with the above. You need to find out from yur provider. I am on a uni led course and if you fail the PGCE you can still get QTS, and visa versa. So, I guess technically one could 'drop' it if failing could still lead to one of the qualifications.
Original post by Wendymckenzie9

Hi, I am a Maths teacher in Switzerland, having completed the PGCE course. If you don`t get the PGCE, you will not be able to teach overseas. If you are interested in seeing the world, teaching overseas will let you do that. It has allowed me to visit over 80 countries during my holidays and I work less than 22 hours per week with 15 weeks off each year. You can also earn a good salary/package depending on where you go. For example, in Switzerland a typical teacher earns between 70,000fr-120,000fr in an international school where the workload is far less than in a public school in the UK. Also great packages in the Middle East, China, Singapore etc.

If I were you, I would make sure you at least get the PGCE qualification. It will always be something you can fall back on as there is always a demand for teachers.
This is an excellent reply. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending