The Student Room Group

Is this unfair for me or should I be understanding?

Hey guys,

Sorry this might be a bit long!

I've been with my boyfriend for almost 3 years now. Last year October, we had to break up because of his parents forcing him and deciding things for him so we didn't have a choice even though we love each other alot.

In December, I started receiving texts from him again after a month of silence, with him saying that he can't move on and he still can't stop thinking of me and that he wants to talk in January. We got back together in January after he said he wouldn't let his parents control him.

Since he came back, he's been acting a little strange. He used to call me everyday and we used to text alot and tell each other everything and we were so close. But now, he hardly ever texts or whenever he calls, its only for 5-10 minutes and thats it. I told him that I noticed he changed alot after he came back in January, he said that he just wants to take it slow and he wants something real with me and he doesn't want sex as it can wait. I just feel his attitude has changed so much as before he used to be really flirty with me and even calling me alot to share things with me.

A week ago, he finally told me what happened in November. It was when we broke up and he said he was in a really bad place so he met a girl and they had sex. He found out that she had a boyfriend and that she was only wanting sex from him thats all, so after he realised it, he didn't talk to her anymore.

After hearing about this from him, I understand now why when he came back in January and was acting strange saying he wants to take things slow and he needs time which I was so confused about considering we've been so close in the past.

Is it because of what he went through with this girl that he was only used for sex thats why now when he came back to me, he talk about he needs time and we should take it slow and that he understands sex isn't everything, when I don't even bring up anything about sex, which I find very weird why he would say that. This makes me think what he went through really affected him.

It's also very unfair that I need to deal with what he is going through because of some girl who used him for sex. We were so close and doing so well together before so why should I take slow and give him time, why should I do that when that was his decision about what he did in November with that person who hurt him and gave him trauma.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey guys,

Sorry this might be a bit long!

I've been with my boyfriend for almost 3 years now. Last year October, we had to break up because of his parents forcing him and deciding things for him so we didn't have a choice even though we love each other alot.

In December, I started receiving texts from him again after a month of silence, with him saying that he can't move on and he still can't stop thinking of me and that he wants to talk in January. We got back together in January after he said he wouldn't let his parents control him.

Since he came back, he's been acting a little strange. He used to call me everyday and we used to text alot and tell each other everything and we were so close. But now, he hardly ever texts or whenever he calls, its only for 5-10 minutes and thats it. I told him that I noticed he changed alot after he came back in January, he said that he just wants to take it slow and he wants something real with me and he doesn't want sex as it can wait. I just feel his attitude has changed so much as before he used to be really flirty with me and even calling me alot to share things with me.

A week ago, he finally told me what happened in November. It was when we broke up and he said he was in a really bad place so he met a girl and they had sex. He found out that she had a boyfriend and that she was only wanting sex from him thats all, so after he realised it, he didn't talk to her anymore.

After hearing about this from him, I understand now why when he came back in January and was acting strange saying he wants to take things slow and he needs time which I was so confused about considering we've been so close in the past.

Is it because of what he went through with this girl that he was only used for sex thats why now when he came back to me, he talk about he needs time and we should take it slow and that he understands sex isn't everything, when I don't even bring up anything about sex, which I find very weird why he would say that. This makes me think what he went through really affected him.

It's also very unfair that I need to deal with what he is going through because of some girl who used him for sex. We were so close and doing so well together before so why should I take slow and give him time, why should I do that when that was his decision about what he did in November with that person who hurt him and gave him trauma.

Hi there
I am sorry for what happened to your boyfriend. A lot of women believe men can be or feel used for sex. But here is a case where the man feels used.

If it is truly the reason why he is acting strange towards you, you will to be strong. He might feel hurt. He will need some time to heal. Take it slow with him. Try to meet him more in real life when you can and when he is okay with it, so that you can talk with him and help him the best you can.
Reply 2
"...he was in a really bad place so he met a girl and they had sex." The way you phrase it, it seems to be 50:50 and your boyfriend used this girl for sex as much as she used him. Was she a ONS or was he (genuinely or misguidedly) expecting a relationship with her? And did he have safe sex?

After 3 years together and only a short time apart there should be no need to take it slow; you should be able to pick up pretty much where you left off. Ask him directly why he can't do that.
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
"...he was in a really bad place so he met a girl and they had sex." The way you phrase it, it seems to be 50:50 and your boyfriend used this girl for sex as much as she used him. Was she a ONS or was he (genuinely or misguidedly) expecting a relationship with her? And did he have safe sex?

After 3 years together and only a short time apart there should be no need to take it slow; you should be able to pick up pretty much where you left off. Ask him directly why he can't do that.

Yes that's why I'm a bit confused. It seems to me like he was expecting a relationship with her as he told me that when he found out she had a boyfriend, he stopped talking to her.

I asked him how long did he know her for, and he said he didn't really know her much, just a bit which I believe cause we broke up around beginning of October and he got to know the girl around end of October and did it with her in November so just only a few weeks, which is barely enough time to know anything about a person. I don't know, maybe he was just trying to forget and move on cause from his text I got from him in January, he mentioned about him 'trying everything to escape' his feelings for me but still can't stop thinking of me.

Yes, that's what I am worrying about too so I told him I want him to get a test done and bring me the results so I can make sure he doesn't have disease or anything.

That's exactly my point. I don't see why we need to take things slow. I asked him why can't we be just like how we were before considering we were so close and everything was going perfectly fine until last year October with his parents wanting to control his life and decisions, but he keep saying that he needs time and why I am rushing things. I'm not rushing things I just want them to go back to how it was.

After he told me what happened in November, I started to put some context to how strange he's been acting and told him that is it because he was used for sex by this girl and she didn't want to know anything about him personally or even want any emotional connection with him but only wanted sex from him and about him finding out she has a boyfriend, if thats the reason why he wants to take it slow its because from what he experienced in November, it gave him trauma since he did that so suddenly within a matter of weeks without knowing anything about the girl so this has made him more cautious now.

I'm also really convinced this is the reason because he brought up about 'sex can wait' and 'sex isn't everything' when I never even mentioned anything about that, so to bring that up so randomly before he even told me that November story tells me it has some much to do with that. But when I asked if its the reason, he said 'no, you're overanalysing it' which I think its because he just doesn't want to face the fact and say its the reason cause it was his choice to go and do that with person he didn't even know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending