The Student Room Group

Should I quit my job at McDonald’s

I work in a decently-sized McDonald’s in a popular area of McDonald’s. Compared to other people’s experiences, I think I’ve got the good end of it. It sometimes gets busy and I have customers raising their voice at me, often over things I have no control over like the price increase. I get paid £8.40 an hour at 17, so pay isn’t a big issue. The problem is more to do with the fact that it’s had an impact on my mental health. Because of my job, I haven’t had the energy to do as much, and I’ve already fallen behind in college (to the point where it’s pretty much too late for me not to get kicked out). I have a decent relationship with my managers and most of my coworkers, but I still feel like I’m not respected as much as I should be. Especially considering I’m constantly willing to pick up extra days to work, even though they never do. Not to mention that being at that job triggers my meltdowns because of the lights and noise. I’m still awaiting for my autism assessment to come back, because me explaining to them that I would rather not be on till because having to talk to multiple customers a day several times isn’t easy for me and it’s too hard for that slight accommodation since they don’t want to teach any one else how to use the tills. I’m so tired of it.

If anyone who thinks that I should quit has any job alternatives that pays the same or more than McDonald’s, that’d be great. I’ve been told I shouldn’t, and wait at least a year so it would look better on my CV. I was considering waiting next year August (if I’m still in college) to quit before moving for Uni.
Do you need the money?

Since you're still in education it's advised to focus 100% on that. The opportunity to earn money will always be there but the same can't be said for your educational opportunities
Reply 2
Original post by TheYearNiner
Do you need the money?

Since you're still in education it's advised to focus 100% on that. The opportunity to earn money will always be there but the same can't be said for your educational opportunities

I 100% need the money
I use it for travel and feeding myself when family can’t afford to
Reply 3
When you say your waiting for the assessment to come back
Have you had the assessment and the results and waiting for the resport
Or are you waiting for the assessment or the results (I got mine on the same day)
If you have had the results and haven't got the report you should be able to get an emergancy letter saying your autistic which would mean they would have to give reasonable adjustments. If you haven't had the results do you know when you would be getting them and is there a possibility to ask for them to write to mcdonalds
Reply 4
I’d say it’s a pretty tough and unrewarding work environment. If it’s affecting your college work on which your longer term future depends then I would give it up and look for something that you would enjoy more. There’s a lot of retail opportunities, some of which could be more rewarding. I really enjoyed bar work. You could also try an agency for a wide variety of temporary roles. I did this too and had some interesting roles like order picking and a drivers mate
Reply 5
Original post by Jess_Lomas
When you say your waiting for the assessment to come back
Have you had the assessment and the results and waiting for the resport
Or are you waiting for the assessment or the results (I got mine on the same day)
If you have had the results and haven't got the report you should be able to get an emergancy letter saying your autistic which would mean they would have to give reasonable adjustments. If you haven't had the results do you know when you would be getting them and is there a possibility to ask for them to write to mcdonalds

I’m not really sure what I’m waiting on tbh. I sent in the little form thingy from both the school and my auntie who filled it in, but no one’s gotten back to me.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I’m not really sure what I’m waiting on tbh. I sent in the little form thingy from both the school and my auntie who filled it in, but no one’s gotten back to me.

Thats annoying
My wait was 30 months but I don't know how long the process has been for you
Have you got any mental health diagnosis such as anxiety which they could make adjustments for
I work in a decently-sized McDonald’s in a popular area of McDonald’s. Compared to other people’s experiences, I think I’ve got the good end of it. It sometimes gets busy and I have customers raising their voice at me, often over things I have no control over like the price increase. I get paid £8.40 an hour at 17, so pay isn’t a big issue. The problem is more to do with the fact that it’s had an impact on my mental health. Because of my job, I haven’t had the energy to do as much, and I’ve already fallen behind in college (to the point where it’s pretty much too late for me not to get kicked out). I have a decent relationship with my managers and most of my coworkers, but I still feel like I’m not respected as much as I should be. Especially considering I’m constantly willing to pick up extra days to work, even though they never do. Not to mention that being at that job triggers my meltdowns because of the lights and noise. I’m still awaiting for my autism assessment to come back, because me explaining to them that I would rather not be on till because having to talk to multiple customers a day several times isn’t easy for me and it’s too hard for that slight accommodation since they don’t want to teach any one else how to use the tills. I’m so tired of it.

If anyone who thinks that I should quit has any job alternatives that pays the same or more than McDonald’s, that’d be great. I’ve been told I shouldn’t, and wait at least a year so it would look better on my CV. I was considering waiting next year August (if I’m still in college) to quit before moving for Uni.

Could you not do less hours there? Would that help?
Does Mcdonalds have an occupational health department that you could speak to about your anxiety and potential autism? They would have to make reasonable adjustments for any disability or health condition, including autism and social anxiety. Getting a diagnosis for autism can take ages, but getting a diagnosis of anxiety from the GP is pretty easy. Then bring this up to your manager. If they still don't listen, look for a new job because no job is worth ruining your mental health.
Reply 9
Original post by Jess_Lomas
Thats annoying
My wait was 30 months but I don't know how long the process has been for you
Have you got any mental health diagnosis such as anxiety which they could make adjustments for

I have quite a few like ptsd and social anxiety but I didn’t think any of them would let me have any adjustments
I have quite a few like ptsd and social anxiety but I didn’t think any of them would let me have any adjustments

Both PTSD ans social anxiety are recognised disabilities and require reasonable adjustments if asked for. Are they aware of this and not done anything or have you not disclosed them. If you haven't then I would recommend speaking to a manager or someone. If you have and they refuse to make adjustments then remind them its a legal requirement and then see what happens
Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending